Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clearly a bad macro is much harder to find than a macro whatever lens you get will serve you well.

Clearly (to me) the main decision here is focal length, and whether getting up really close will disturb the subject (e.g. butterflies). Such things are best done with 100mm or more, but flowers and still life will be great with shorter focal lengths. Enjoy your speed-shopping!

03-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't it lovely how all of us are so ready to spend your money for you!

Another option is a Raynox 150, known to pair well with the DA 55-300.
03-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have this Promaster 3.5/100mm and am very happy with it. It's also available under the Vivitar, Cosina, and Phoenix names, and there's an optically identical AF version. There's also this Pentax branded version. If you get it, just make sure the matched 1.1 diopter comes with it. I prefer the manual focus version, because although it's the same exact optics, it's a bit better build quality.
03-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I'd say the Sigma 70mm macro, but since you already have the DA 70mm Limited I would recommend the DFA 100mm WR

03-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
And an M50 f1.4
A set of extension tubes plus the above should be more than adequate for your macro needs. Take your wife to dinner with the money you've saved.
03-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of people recommend shorter focal length macro lenses for shooting inanimate objects, but I'd still recommend a 90-100mm lens. The problem with shorter focal lengths is you have to get the subject closer to the lens for the same magnification you could get from a further distance with a longer focal length lens. When you get closer you tend to block out the light illuminating the subject.
03-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
When you get closer you tend to block out the light illuminating the subject.
And possibly scare the subject if it's alive.

03-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a set of really cheapo extension lenses, so I am going to try johnyates's suggestion with my 50 f1.4. I have taken a few shots indoors already, but I am very wobbly these days and it's really hard to find and retain focus.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.
03-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a set of really cheapo extension lenses, so I am going to try johnyates's suggestion with my 50 f1.4. I have taken a few shots indoors already, but I am very wobbly these days and it's really hard to find and retain focus.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.
The tripod is your friend, Bagga!
03-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The tripod is your friend, Bagga!
And if a tripod doesn't work (macro can force your camera into some weird angles), flash will help freeze the moment. Even in direct sun light it can be hard to stay focused at high magnifications.
03-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #26

If your feeling thrifty, I picked up a Kiron 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 A MC macro on ebay for something like 35 dollars including shipping to Canada. Its quite sharp with min fd 15ish cm. There seems to be a few around still.

Last edited by revelstoked; 03-24-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Addition
03-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
And if a tripod doesn't work (macro can force your camera into some weird angles), flash will help freeze the moment. Even in direct sun light it can be hard to stay focused at high magnifications.
This is a bit off topic, geomez, but I think our inquirer here has had to make his decision by now. You have both the K-3 and the GR -- perfect! I've been pulling out my hair agonizing over the best present lens options for landscapes and cityscapes on APS-C. Very recently, a correspondent at the digilloyd.com site commented that without a doubt, he was getting better, sharper results from the 16mp GR at the 28mm effective equivalent focal length than he could with his no LP-filter 24mp D7100 at a similar field of view. The close integration factor between excellent lens and sensor on the GR seems to be the prevailing explanation here. Since he publishes few reader comments on his site, and he owns and uses both high end Nikon/Zeiss AND the little GR (his "Camera of the Year 2013", BTW), I can only assume that Lloyd is in full agreement, or close to it; or he wouldn't have published that email.

I have a new, still virginal K-3 here; but the lack of choice in modern primes of overall high performance, optimized for both sharpness border-to-border and a relatively flat field -- as well as being easily totable into the field -- is conspicuous, and frustrating as all get-out to me when considering the core FL's/fields of view for landscape: say, 24mm to 35mm FF-equivalents. I can't believe that the DA 21mm really fills the bill; it simple reflects other design priorities. I do have the DA 12-24mm, about which opinions are split when it comes to my application. I'm just about down to a used GR (assuming I can find a deal with time)... or, grudgingly, the 18-35mm/1.8 Sigma (28-1/2 oz. zoom -- Ugh!). Help! Have you any words of wisdom from the hands-on user perspective? From an effective-FF 42mm on up, I figure I'm in good shape with my present options.
03-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently own... 10-17FE, DA21, 40XS, DA70. Plus 18-55WR, 18-135WR, 55-300. And an M50 f1.4.

Today my wife pointed out that if I want to buy a macro lens before our trip on Friday to photograph peach blossoms, I must buy it tomorrow because we are busy the rest of the week. But I am totally undecided which to buy, so I throw myself open to suggestions. What do you recommend, and why? (I am not very interested in ultra-closeups of insects)
I see a lot of options below the op's initial post, but better definition of what is needed might help

Peach blossoms don't really need true macro, but aside from that something done in a rush is generally never a good decision. Why not just get close up lenses for the 18-55. Spend about $30 on a set of simple diopters, and see what you can do.

If you have already decided and researched macro that is a different story, but from your post that is not apparently the case. I would advise from personal use, that the increased working distance of a100mm macro over anything shorter is worth it
03-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
This is a bit off topic, geomez, but I think our inquirer here has had to make his decision by now. You have both the K-3 and the GR -- perfect! I've been pulling out my hair agonizing over the best present lens options for landscapes and cityscapes on APS-C. Very recently, a correspondent at the digilloyd.com site commented that without a doubt, he was getting better, sharper results from the 16mp GR at the 28mm effective equivalent focal length than he could with his no LP-filter 24mp D7100 at a similar field of view. The close integration factor between excellent lens and sensor on the GR seems to be the prevailing explanation here. Since he publishes few reader comments on his site, and he owns and uses both high end Nikon/Zeiss AND the little GR (his "Camera of the Year 2013", BTW), I can only assume that Lloyd is in full agreement, or close to it; or he wouldn't have published that email.

I have a new, still virginal K-3 here; but the lack of choice in modern primes of overall high performance, optimized for both sharpness border-to-border and a relatively flat field -- as well as being easily totable into the field -- is conspicuous, and frustrating as all get-out to me when considering the core FL's/fields of view for landscape: say, 24mm to 35mm FF-equivalents. I can't believe that the DA 21mm really fills the bill; it simple reflects other design priorities. I do have the DA 12-24mm, about which opinions are split when it comes to my application. I'm just about down to a used GR (assuming I can find a deal with time)... or, grudgingly, the 18-35mm/1.8 Sigma (28-1/2 oz. zoom -- Ugh!). Help! Have you any words of wisdom from the hands-on user perspective? From an effective-FF 42mm on up, I figure I'm in good shape with my present options.
I sent you a PM
03-25-2014, 03:45 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I currently own... 10-17FE, DA21, 40XS, DA70. Plus 18-55WR, 18-135WR, 55-300. And an M50 f1.4.

Today my wife pointed out that if I want to buy a macro lens before our trip on Friday to photograph peach blossoms, I must buy it tomorrow because we are busy the rest of the week. But I am totally undecided which to buy, so I throw myself open to suggestions. What do you recommend, and why? (I am not very interested in ultra-closeups of insects)
Do let us all know what you finally decide to purchase.