Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens repair?

Hi Folks!

I've got a Tamron SP 60-300 lens, that got stuck in macro mode. After some wrestling, I got it out of macro, but now it doesn't focus to infinity. In fact, it really doesn't focus much at all. Apparently, something has been misaligned. I'm hesitant to open this thing up, and try to fix it myself. I have a duplicate lens to use when the situation calls, but the one that's stuck had smoother operation, and less lens creep.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable repair service in So Ca? Is it even worth it?

Thanks,
Wayne

04-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
C'mon, no one has any suggestions?
04-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by w6wat Quote
Hi Folks!

I've got a Tamron SP 60-300 lens, that got stuck in macro mode. After some wrestling, I got it out of macro, but now it doesn't focus to infinity. In fact, it really doesn't focus much at all. Apparently, something has been misaligned. I'm hesitant to open this thing up, and try to fix it myself. I have a duplicate lens to use when the situation calls, but the one that's stuck had smoother operation, and less lens creep.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable repair service in So Ca? Is it even worth it?

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne,
Our local repair shop gives free estimates. Of course you have to leave it with them, but this would give you the chance to see if it is worth the cost. Since S. California is one extended urban area, you should be able to find a shop with the same policy. I can't be of much more help, since you don't give your actual location.

Dave
04-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Wayne,
Our local repair shop gives free estimates. Of course you have to leave it with them, but this would give you the chance to see if it is worth the cost. Since S. California is one extended urban area, you should be able to find a shop with the same policy. I can't be of much more help, since you don't give your actual location.

Dave
Dave, thanks for your response. My home is very near Orange County, and my office is next door to John Wayne Airport. Newport Beach or Costa Mesa is extremely local to my office, and then I basically drive through the heart of Orange County on my way home.

04-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Recommended in San Diego if you get this far south:

Kurt's Camera Repair, Inc. - factory-equipped camera and projector repair facility.

I think you can ship it to them and they will give you a call with a free estimate price then ship it back. From OC to SD regular old UPS ground gets it here in only a day's time.

on that note you could send it literally anywhere for a repair if you really wanted to.

But back to Orange County, I'm not familiar with anything close to JW Airport, but there's a place called SML Camera Repair in MDL. Looks like they are still there! and I've been to these folks Camera repair, 35mm, video cameras - Marina Del Ray, California - Home , maybe too much of a drive? But they are real good with lenses.

As far as the rest in the area, all I know about from faint memory are:

in Anaheim area there used to be a J & F Camera Repair on West Pico, not sure if they are still in Biz or if they still repair lenses (they used to), and there's a Walters Camera Repairs in LA, but I don't know if they repair lenses, they must because they used to repair photo enlargers and printing equipment stat cameras and lenses. But I'd stick to SML for that area if they are still around.
04-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried to contact both, but it's a bit too late this evening.
04-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't mind shipping across country, check out this store. They worked miracles on a lens I still have.

http://www.essexcamera.com/
04-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I've used their email estimate feature.