Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Darn, looks like 21mm is a keeper

So as part of a package trade, I recieved a DA 21mm limited.
I fully intended to sell it to cover the difference in cost (that's what i told my mife).
But I played around with is yesterday, and damn, I may have to keep it

I never was interested in the lens because i have the DA* 16-50mm, which is at least as sharp and is faster.
But in real life, I highly doubt you can really tell the difference in sharpness...certainly not for my usage where i am not printing large and I find pixel peeping is pretty boring.
I think the kicker is the 21mm's flare resistance.

Yes, you can see some flare, but I am purposely shooting directly into the sun for the sole purpose of trying to excite flare. If i tried that with the 16-50mm, it would ruin the shot (not saying this is a good shot, it isnt, it was just for this test).

Also, the bokeh is kind of busy, as to be expected from a f3.2 lens, but i kind of like the way it looks

So, I if I know it's going to be a dry day and I know I am not going really wide, it is a lens that easily fits in my pocket and I think has earned a place in my kit.

03-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That happens to me all the time. I'm sitting here with an $800+ lens I got for $600 something. I can't afford to keep it. But I LOOOOVVVVVE it....
03-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That happens to me all the time. I'm sitting here with an $800+ lens I got for $600 something. I can't afford to keep it. But I LOOOOVVVVVE it....
Yea...I should've just opened up the pouch, checked out the glass and aperture and move on.
But no, it was so small, i wanted to see how it looked on my camera. Then I wanted to see how it performed.

THen one thing leads to another, and I am forced to keep things from my wife.
03-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Yea...I should've just opened up the pouch, checked out the glass and aperture and move on.
But no, it was so small, i wanted to see how it looked on my camera. Then I wanted to see how it performed.

THen one thing leads to another, and I am forced to keep things from my wife.
What I do is just accept that I'm going to have a revolving door of lenses and not a stable kit. And then the most redundant ones or ones I've had enough chance to play with are the first on the block...

03-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I know it's not a big help, but the 21 is a very nice lens. Its flare resistance is second only to the 15 Ltd, I think. And to my surprise it is a really nice lens for close focusing. Not what I bought it for at all.

That said, no lens is worth risking family problems - if it can be called that. Not worth serious economic headaches either. And it's not like it would be impossible to reacquire a 21 later on. There are lots of them out there. Just sayin'...
03-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's often dismissed because it's not the sharpest limited (even though it's very sharp in and by itself) and it's relatively inexpensive. But it's a fantastic lens. A lot of my PPG images were shot with it. Each time I put it on the camera, I'm amazed at how good it actually is.
03-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most amazing thing about this lens is it's size. For me, I'm on a canoe trip... the 18-135 lives on my camera because it's good for flowers, landscapes and is long enough for big wildlife... and it takes no weight in my pack, but then when the opportunity presents itself I pull it out and you've got a prime to shoot with....

It doesn't get any better than that.
03-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Each time I put it on the camera, I'm amazed at how good it actually is.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It doesn't get any better than that.
You are both right, but not really helping cali92rs...

03-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I like it for the Starbursts. I'm looking forward when it gets a bit warmer to shoot some late night city scenes with it. For now it only shoots my train layout.

03-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice! Its like my DA40- No flares at all! - It trantates to: I have to get it!
03-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You are both right, but not really helping cali92rs...
We're helping him avoid a world of regret that's about to come his way, if he sells it.
03-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
That said, no lens is worth risking family problems - if it can be called that. Not worth serious economic headaches either. And it's not like it would be impossible to reacquire a 21 later on. There are lots of them out there. Just sayin'...
I'll be fine She's used to lenses coming and going. She gives me crap, but it's all part of the fun, lol.

Your right, I really like the close focusing ability. It opens up a lot of possibility, and the starbursts are a nice plus too.

I nver really even considered owning this lens, but now that i have it, it's defininitely not going anywhere.
03-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #13

Wow, nice sun star!

@norm: Great pics with the 21mm. I've been eyeing this focal length for a while planning for another prime down the road and it seems like a nice in between FL. What lake is that on? That's not Stratton is it?
03-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

so far my fave Limiteds for use with the K-3 are the 21mm, 35mm, and 70mm -- all excellent performers. The 15mm, while nice, is simply eclipsed by the Nikkor 14-24mm on a D800. At some point, I'll probably add a few more limiteds to the collection (especially if they ever make 'em weather proof). But for now I have a nice compact kit that works well as a companion to the D800.

Michael
03-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alpiner Quote
Wow, nice sun star!

@norm: Great pics with the 21mm. I've been eyeing this focal length for a while planning for another prime down the road and it seems like a nice in between FL. What lake is that on? That's not Stratton is it?
Not far off, that's the incredible campsite with the stone furniture and fire pit with a grill big enough to do burgers for 30 on Opalescent lake.

More pictures here.