Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An interesting difference: M and DA 40mm

I came accross this when doing lens tests for the other thread, and it really puzzled me.

Have a look at the attached images- the M 40mm seems to have a smaller angle of view than the DA, suggesting that the DA is actually more of a 38/39mm.

The optical construction must be slightly different, since the minimum focusing distance has also change between the two lenses. Anyone have any details on this? The first pic was taken with the M, while the other with the DA.

BTW, I used a tripod and MLU for both shots...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Mo, the 2nd pic definitely has a wider view than the first one. Da version seems to produce brighter image there too.

For some reasons, I prefer the M version
01-24-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. Close focus could be changed by one lens having a longer helicoid than the other. This would not change the optical formula. When companies measure focal length they get a +- 5% range. That way they don't end up with things like a 22- 111 focal length. Now it is looked at as neat for some strange focal lengths. Look at 31, 43, 77 Limiteds.
thanks
barondla
01-24-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

Were they both set to focus at the same distance?

01-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yes, both were set to focus on the same subject (infinite focus) manually w/ AF confirmation.

Thanks for the info, barondla

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
clm

Mo, which one has truer color rendition? On my monitor, the M seems to have much warmer tone than DA. Or maybe the DA is much cooler?
01-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
Mo, which one has truer color rendition? On my monitor, the M seems to have much warmer tone than DA. Or maybe the DA is much cooler?
Yes, that's the question I had too. Which has the more accurate color.
01-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I believe the camera used a different white balance (I didn't shoot in RAW), so I'll have to test that again later.

From my experience, though, the DA seems to do a better job of that.

Adam