Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

The 18-55 raplacement, advise please

I really want to see a real improvement in details captured and overall results. I would like to keep the wide end around the 18mm mark but im happy to go as far as thirty and go panoramic.

Euro 500 is the limit, so that cuts out most limiteds and wont get close to the star lenses. Main use will be landscapes. Pentax of third party are fine, for third party i would prefer Sigma as i have had great results from their lenses in the past.

Thanks

Peter

04-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A lot of people like the Sigma 17-70.

I have one and like it so far, but I have had very little chance to use it since I got it.
04-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 17-70 really is a fine lens:

04-20-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've tested the 18-55 version II lens and it is MUCH sharper than the original 18-55 ... particularly at the edges of the frame where the original 18-55mm gets visibly soft.

If budget is a concern, get the 18-55 II and you'll have a much nicer lens than the original 18-55.

If budget is less of a concern there are two good options:

-- If you need a lens today go buy the Sigma 17-70.
-- If you can wait, then wait to see how the Pentax DA 17-70 turns out.

04-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone

Fantastic images, fine renditioning. I have it down to 2 choices now.

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD. Reviewers say the build quality is sub-standard
or
Sigma AF 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro. Tha macro is not important as i have a macro lens already

If anyone knows of a reason as to why i should choose one over the other, please say. If you know of a lens that performs at the same level, within the price range, please share your recommendation,

Thanks for the feedback so far

Peter
Attached Images

04-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
Fantastic images, fine renditioning. I have it down to 2 choices now.

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD. Reviewers say the build quality is sub-standard
or
Sigma AF 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro. Tha macro is not important as i have a macro lens already

If anyone knows of a reason as to why i should choose one over the other, please say. If you know of a lens that performs at the same level, within the price range, please share your recommendation,

Thanks for the feedback so far

Peter
I've used three (actually four) different DSLR systems since 2002: Nikon/Fuji, Canon, and now Pentax. The Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 DG is the only third party lens I've purchased for every lens mount I've used.

The 24-70 might not be the absolute best constant aperture zoom on the market in every way imaginable, but it's the most "balanced" in terms of sharpness, color, CA, focal lengths, aperture, and price.

I've yet to find another zoom lens that is superior to the 24-70 in each of these categories.

Also, despite a considerable collection of glass at the time, the Sigma 24-70 2.8 DG was the only lens that I wanted to take with me to the hospital the day that my daughter was born.

It's not perfect, but it's a darn good lens.
04-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi JJJphoto

Thankyou for the great feedback. I have just read that the 24-70 has been supplied with an inadequate lens hood and should be replaced asap otherwise its prone to flare. Is there any substance to this from your own experience?

Peter
04-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
Hi JJJphoto

Thankyou for the great feedback. I have just read that the 24-70 has been supplied with an inadequate lens hood and should be replaced asap otherwise its prone to flare. Is there any substance to this from your own experience?

Peter
I haven't had severe issues with flare unless I'm pointing the lens almost directly into the sun. The problem with replacing the hood is getting a hood that's large enough to fit on the giant front threads of this lens, finding one that's deep enough to work better than the stock hood, and finding one that's shallow enough to prevent additional vignetting on the 24mm end of the zoom.

Personally, I haven't had any serious issues with flare on any of my Sigma 24-70s for the three mounts I've purchased them for.

04-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Tamron 17-50

If this is just a replacement for the kit, and not to get further reach, check out the Tamron 17-50 constant 2.8. I picked one up locally at a retailer. I really like this lens better than the 28-75, although it doesn't reach as far, but paired up with the 50-135 it is a nice fit. It's just that for me, most of what I shoot outside is around 30-90 or so, but I liked this lens enough to put up with swapping it out at 50. It is slightly smaller and looks similar but feels a bit nicer and focuses much better (although there is a smaller range here) I also have the newer version of the 18-55 II, and it actually does quite well stopped down a stop or two, but then that leaves you at 5.6 or 8 or more, and once I looked at images side by side, I just couldn't go back, and image-wise it pairs up with the 50-135 more closely. This lens has been around a while in other mounts (I had one in Canon as well) but is new to the Pentax mount. B&H carries them, but they are closed for another week, and I don't see any other on-line retailer right now that has the, but with Tamron (as I learned from the 28-75) kinda better to shop in person anyway to make sure your copy focuses correctly (I figure the higher price accounts for the return shipping I might need to do to swap it out with a better copy if I ordered it on-line anyway) It took 4 copies of the 28-75 to get one I liked, and I lucked out that the first copy of the 17-50 I looked at worked nicely...