Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Help with my Zenitar 16/2.8 Fish-Eye lens

Hi guys,

Recently I purchased a Zenitar 16/2.8 Fish-Eye lens. This is my first M42 SMC. Not sure why, but I can't seem to get a quality picture with this lens. Simply said, It's not sharp. So I'm hoping you guys can help me out here:

1. When I turned on my K5, it asks for whether it's 15mm, 18mm, etc lens. But no 16mm. So what should I choose?
2. Not sure what the correct term is, but Googling "grease on lens" gives me entirely something else. So I'm just going to show you a picture below. Is this the cause why my pictures doesn't turn out sharp as I wanted to be?
3. If not, what can I try? I saw some post about adjusting the focusing ring, but not sure how to do that.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Images
 
03-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,231
QuoteOriginally posted by swingninja Quote
Hi guys,

Recently I purchased a Zenitar 16/2.8 Fish-Eye lens. This is my first M42 SMC. Not sure why, but I can't seem to get a quality picture with this lens. Simply said, It's not sharp. So I'm hoping you guys can help me out here:

1. When I turned on my K5, it asks for whether it's 15mm, 18mm, etc lens. But no 16mm. So what should I choose?
2. Not sure what the correct term is, but Googling "grease on lens" gives me entirely something else. So I'm just going to show you a picture below. Is this the cause why my pictures doesn't turn out sharp as I wanted to be?
3. If not, what can I try? I saw some post about adjusting the focusing ring, but not sure how to do that.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
  1. Choose 15mm for the Zenitar
  2. That is the nastiest lens I think I have ever seen. A health Zenitar should not look that way. I would negotiate a return to the seller.
  3. Your soft pictures are due to a grossly contaminated lens, not a focus issue
I am puzzled that you indicate that your lens is M42. The pictured lens is K-mount. If it were M42, that would not be a good thing. The M42 Zenitar 16/2.8 does not have an A/M switch to all manual aperture stop-down. Minor surgery to the lens mount can correct that but it is a pain. The K-mount version is much more appropriate for your camera.

Summary: Send it back as inoperative and get a K-mount version from a different seller.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-26-2014 at 08:37 PM.
03-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
Unless that is something that can be cleaned off, the lens is junk unfortunately.
03-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Original Poster
Thanks guys. I didn't know there is a k-mount version. So, I'm guessing the k-mount version doesn't need an adapter (which will be really sweet).

This one is $50 off craigslist. I was hoping that I don't have to spend $200+ off Ebay. It looks like that's what I will be doing. Does anybody ever use this for lens for star trail or aurora shots?

03-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
What adaptor are you using? One with a flange or one without. With the fisheye, the actual focus throw is so short that a flanged adaptor will not allow infinity focus and will impact focusing above about 1 meter.

I have the same lens on my K 10 and it works just fine with a correct M42 adaptor
03-27-2014, 04:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,231
QuoteOriginally posted by swingninja Quote
Thanks guys. I didn't know there is a k-mount version. So, I'm guessing the k-mount version doesn't need an adapter (which will be really sweet).

This one is $50 off craigslist. I was hoping that I don't have to spend $200+ off Ebay. It looks like that's what I will be doing. Does anybody ever use this for lens for star trail or aurora shots?
The one in the photo IS the K-mount version*. At least it should be based on its appearance. You can tell by the little "nubbin"** on the side and the labeling that says "Zenitar-K". it does not require an adapter for use on a K-mount camera. It also appears to have been "trimmed" a bit on the hood. I would guess that it is also missing the required rear-mount clear filter. That would be a round ring at the rear of the lens labeled "c" "M26.5x0.5".

The most common issues on a new Zen are:
  • Infinity focus not properly set
  • Hood not properly aligned
On a used item, add:
  • Missing rear filter
  • Missing front cap ($$ to replace)
For a Pentax dSLR, it is important to buy the K-mount version. The M42 model may be adapted, but the lens lacks the switch on the side to allow manual aperture and is not able to stop down for exposure unless surgically modified or used with a special M42 adapter having a "shelf" to press the aperture actuator pin.

Steve

* The Zenitar fisheye comes in native M42, Pentax K, Nikon F, and Canon EF (unchipped)
** I may be wrong about the nubbin. Product shots on the KMZ Web site show all four versions with the "nubbin". Go figure. MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye at KMZ

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-27-2014 at 08:15 AM.
03-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Original Poster
More images

Thanks Lowell and Steve.

Here are some more pictures. The first picture I got from ebay. The second picture is the back of my Zen (no "c" "M26.5x0.5"). And the third is my adapter. So, more questions:

1. Does the back filter necessary ?
2. How to adjust/set infinity focus?
3. Right now, the focusing appears better (but still not sharp) when the object appears further. When it's closer (< .5 m), it looks like if I'm using a soft filter.
4. I think I have the correct M42 adapter. If not, which one should I get? But it definitely needs an adapter (because I tried )
5. I'm not seeing any switch whatsoever on this lens. Where is it located usually?

Again, thanks. This has been very educating.
Attached Images
     
03-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,882
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Missing front cap ($$ to replace)
I had a missing cap but bought a generic pinch cap of the correct size and used a bench grinder to dish the inside so it wouldn't touch the front lens element. Bit of a breeze way in the sides but does protect the front element.

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Unless that is something that can be cleaned off, the lens is junk unfortunately.
Again with correct equipment it is fairly straightforward to open up and clean out behind the lens yourself. Russian lenses are a bit 'greasy' so it may be just flow from the helical focusing rings - has the wrong look for fungus.

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 11:12 PM ----------

Does the back filter necessary Yes
Those two lens pics are different lens mount.
I don't think top one is Pentax as locking slot is wrong and no aperture lever etc.My K copy has silver mount. But bottom one is m42 and adapter looks correct.

03-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,008
If you go and search the Pentax SLR Talk forum at DPR for posts on the Zenitar by Jonas B, you'll find a lot of useful information.

I used a Zenitar 16 as my widest lens in my *istDS days, and I had trouble getting in-focus images. After reading up on the subject I found out it wasn't properly configured to focus at infinity. It took a few relatively simple steps (removing the rubber grip, untightening a few screws, adjusting the focus ring and tightening the screws again before restoring the rubber grip) to correct this myself and since then the lens was as sharp as expected on my *istDS. I did find later on when using higher MP DSLRs (K10D, K20D, ...) that the Zenitar's performance was much less (so it would certainly not score high on a K-5). It seems its resolution was higher than 6MP, but not much? Regardless, I sold my copy and bought the Pentax DA10-17 instead.

hth, Wim
03-27-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,231
QuoteOriginally posted by swingninja Quote
Thanks Lowell and Steve.

Here are some more pictures. The first picture I got from ebay. The second picture is the back of my Zen (no "c" "M26.5x0.5"). And the third is my adapter. So, more questions:

1. Does the back filter necessary ?
2. How to adjust/set infinity focus?
3. Right now, the focusing appears better (but still not sharp) when the object appears further. When it's closer (< .5 m), it looks like if I'm using a soft filter.
4. I think I have the correct M42 adapter. If not, which one should I get? But it definitely needs an adapter (because I tried )
5. I'm not seeing any switch whatsoever on this lens. Where is it located usually?

Again, thanks. This has been very educating.
Dang! Yours is a Frankenlens!* On the side it is plainly labeled "Zenitar-K2" and on the back it is clearly native M42.
  • Yes, the back filter is necessary (part of optical path) and yours is missing
  • You adjust infinity focus by lifting the rubber grip and loosening the screws underneath. It helps to have a split image finder to calibrate against.
  • Your lens is grossly contaminated by something. It will not provide sharp results until it is clean and a rear filter is put in place and maybe not even then.
  • Your M42 adapter will work as far as the mount goes, but NO M42 Zenitar has the manual/auto switch on the side that allows for manual aperture actuation. Converting the lens usually involves surgery, but since yours is a Frankenlens, surgery may not have been needed. In fact, the first photo in your post shows the lens partially stopped down, so the aperture appears to already be fully manual.
It is my opinion that you should return the item post haste. If needed, cite the missing filter as the reason. They are almost non-existent on the used market. Your lens is basically unusable except for parts and the parts value is less than $20 from what I can see.

To see what the lens should look like, see the review on this site or the manufacturer's link in my comment above.

Zenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database


Steve

* Lens assembled from multiple disparate parts to make a (sometimes) working whole.

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 07:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I did find later on when using higher MP DSLRs (K10D, K20D, ...) that the Zenitar's performance was much less (so it would certainly not score high on a K-5). It seems its resolution was higher than 6MP, but not much? Regardless, I sold my copy and bought the Pentax DA10-17 instead.
Truly? I have been shooting the Zen on a K10D since summer of 2008 and have never found it to lack sharpness at 10 megapickles. I have also shot it on full-frame 35mm film (Kodachrome) scanned at 4000 dpi and found that it handled that challenge as well. Mine is almost always in the bag and is my go-to lens for many, many subjects.

Mind you, I found that accurate focus was essential. No, fisheyes don't have infinite DOF. The have DOF typical for their focal length and for subjects at moderate distance focus does count. The focus aids on my Katz Eye screen come in handy.
Fotostevia on Flickr: MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye (APS-C and 35mm film)
All told, I think it has been worth the trouble.


Steve

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 08:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I don't think top one is Pentax as locking slot is wrong and no aperture lever etc.
Definitely not Pentax K. It looks to be the M42 version adapted to Nikon F. A lot of resellers of Russian lenses would package the M42 version with various adapters. If shopping Russian lenses for Canon or Nikon (Pentax too, I guess) it is always good to be clear with the seller as to what the native mount is. The Canon and Nikon native mounts support aperture automation. The adapted lenses do not.


Steve

---------- Post added 03-27-14 at 08:27 AM ----------

As a footnote on this thread, I thought it might be good to add what comes in the box with a Zenitar Fisheye when purchased new.
  • Lens
  • Proprietary cap
  • Nylon packcloth case
  • Set of four rear-mount filters: clear (attached), yellow, red, and green
If any of the above are missing, it is not inappropriate to ask why.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-27-2014 at 08:29 AM.
03-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,008
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Truly? I have been shooting the Zen on a K10D since summer of 2008 and have never found it to lack sharpness at 10 megapickles. I have also shot it on full-frame 35mm film (Kodachrome) scanned at 4000 dpi and found that it handled that challenge as well. Mine is almost always in the bag and is my go-to lens for many, many subjects.
Could be I only noticed this on my K20D. I've used a K-7 and K-5 since and am now on a K-3. Basically too many cameras to remember exactly on which camera I noticed my copy of the Z stopped being "good enough". Now that my memory has been activated , I remember the earliest fisheye shots with the DA10-17 were with the K20D. My Z was mostly used on the *istDS. It could be (but don't remember) that I just grew temporarily tired of the effect in my K10D days (the shortest used of all my Pentax DSLRs), and found it insufficient at 14MP (and not 10MP) when my interest in fisheye was rekindled on the K20D?

In any case, the fact remains that my Z wouldn't have any use on a 16MP K-5... But there may be better copies around...

Wim
03-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Original Poster
Again, thanks for the information. I think I'm just going to get another Zen (or Pentax DA10-17) from ebay. From what you guys told me, this lens was some sort of hybrid of multiple zens put together to make it (sort of) work. I'm going to keep this zen and maybe tinker with it when I have the time.
03-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,231
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
In any case, the fact remains that my Z wouldn't have any use on a 16MP K-5... But there may be better copies around...
Yes, there may well be better copies around! You have me curious now. I have a friend who shoots with a K-50 and I will have to try the Zen on her camera to see how it does. It is my expectation that it will do pretty well, though I would not hold out much hope on a K-3, should I ever get one of those. I missed out on a local meet-up this last weekend where a comparison against the DA 15/4 Limited and K 17/4 Fisheye on current bodies would have been possible. Went to the beach instead


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, cap, dslr, element, fish-eye, fish-eye lens, front, front cap, guys, help, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-mount, k10d, k5, lens, lenses, mount, pentax k-5, pentax lens, picture, slr lens, zenitar, zenitar 16 2.8, zenitar 16/2.8 fish-eye
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: MC Zenitar-K 2.8/16mm FISH-EYE (Worldwide) dave9t5 Sold Items 12 09-29-2010 01:03 PM
For Sale - Sold: Zenitar 2.8 16mm mc Fish Eye (US) Warren s Sold Items 9 04-01-2010 08:59 AM
For Sale - Sold: Zenitar-K f2.8 16mm Pentax Fish-Eye topcaps Sold Items 8 05-21-2009 08:34 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Zenitar 16/2.8 Fish eye Ishpuini Sold Items 2 02-01-2008 12:03 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top