Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

Lens profiles in Adobe Camera Raw

Why is the lens profile thread so out of date? When I go into Adobe Camera Raw (latest CC version), it doesn't recognize any Pentax lens profiles. Why is this?

03-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Why is the lens profile thread so out of date? When I go into Adobe Camera Raw (latest CC version), it doesn't recognize any Pentax lens profiles. Why is this?
I'm still on Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5. These have lens profiles for all my Pentax lenses.

I'm not sure what you are saying.
03-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In my Lightroom 5 installation (updated to the latest minor version) I have profiles for all my recent Pentax lenses except the DA20-40. I expect this profile to be added shortly to the list by Adobe (as they have for other new lenses). If not I might get round to creating a profile myself (as I did in the beginning for the DA21 and DA*16-50), and if so I'l certainly post it in the thread. However, from experience I know it's a lot of work, and there's not much time on my hands for such an enterprise right now... And knowing now that Adobe dies support Pentax (which wasn't clear when I made those first two profiles), I might just wait for the "official" profile, rather than spend hours creating a profile that will only be used for a few weeks. The Sigma lenses I have (the EX180 macro and 8-16) don't get recognized automatically, but I can select them manually (for one shot and sync to the others shot with the same lens). The only lens I'm really missing is my FA*300/4.5, but I don't feel it really needs much correction if any, hence the importance of having a profile is much less.

What is your problem exactly? No Pentax profiles available, or the software not recognizing the lenses used? Have you tried manually selecting the correct lens? What camera did you use them on? Are you using JPGs or RAWs? These are different profiles, and it might be that JPG profiles are simply not available because of Pentax cameras already applying corrections in-camera and as such Adobe software not knowing whether the images still need correcting or not...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 03-28-2014 at 02:17 AM.
03-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
Interesting point about the in camera profiles. I have a new K-3 and in bridge my Pentax and Tamron lens shows up but not in my Adobe Raw lens profile. I do have the K-3 set for in camera lens adjustment. Most of the files on .jpg. I will go back and look at the RAW files and also take the in-camera adjustments off the K-3 to see what will happen. By the way- the K-3 in camera adjustments seem to be working very well.

03-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well looks like Photoshop does indeed recognize RAW file lenses but not .jpg. I even went into my camera lens settings and took them to off and Photoshop still doesn't recognize the lens in .jpg!
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't believe jpg format is even supported for lens profiles. my understanding it is part of the DNG conversion process.

Even more of an argument for shooting RAW. If you are starting to get that interested in PP work, you should no longer shoot in jpg anyway. the lossy compression will not yield very good results when you start making corrections for lens distortion etc.

The ONLY time I'll ever shoot jpg is.... oh wait, I haven't shot jpg in 10 years. Nevermind.
03-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
When you see the file size of the K-3 and how well it processes in .jpg, you may change your mind. And remember you can still use camera raw and add layers in Photoshop on .jpg converted to .tiff. AmaZing!