Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LensRentals.com - Really cool precise optical adjustment of lenses

QuoteQuote:
For the last 18 months or so Iíve been on a Holy Quest, trying to find better ways to optically analyze and adjust bad lenses. Why? Partly because we need to. Some lenses factory service just canít seem to return to proper optical adjustment. Partly because some smug people several years ago told me I could never learn how to do that, which, of course, made me really, really want to.

03-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Very cool! I want them to adjust MY lenses next!

Steve
03-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wonder if Roger has considered this as a sideline business?

03-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Great googly-moogly that's quite the piece of gear.

Can a lens be adjusted on the fly in one of these rigs, or must it be dismantled and re-mounted?

03-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Great googly-moogly that's quite the piece of gear.

Can a lens be adjusted on the fly in one of these rigs, or must it be dismantled and re-mounted?
Looks like on the fly:

"..Now we could actually watch the pinhole images change in real time as we made each adjustment, taking one picture for confirmation when we were done..."

The lens renting business must be good to pay for this! Showing that they care this much about sending out gear that's in great shape goes a long way, so I expect it's worth it from an advertising perspective alone. Plus, it looks like it'd be fun.
03-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I think it depends on the lens. He mentions towards the end of the article about lenses requiring "compensating elements" as a requisite for adjustment.

Steve
03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It would be interesting to know if all, or even most, lenses incorporate components that can be adjusted. Perhaps only higher-end lenses can be adjusted, but this is still a very interesting technology.
03-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have a similar setup - a much older projection optics test bench which projects an image directly through the lens - I use a pinhole pattern as well to spot any maladjustment, thought he pinholes in my test pattern are larger than what they are using.