Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 85mm F1.4 on K3 or K5ii

Can anyone using this lens please tell me how well it focusses at F2 or faster on the K3 or K5 ii.

I am mainly interested in focus accuracy but comments on focus speed would also be appreciated.

Howie B

03-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm curious, are you seeing photos that show any problems here?
03-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Correct me if I am wrong, focusing is always done with an (automatic aperture) lens wide open, never stopped down.
So f/2 vs f/1.4 won't make any difference in focusing speed.
Accuracy is another story, I do not have your your combination, but my K5 + Sigma 70-200 have been really troublesome in this regard.
03-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Are you looking for a general opinion of the lens + camera combo? Because focus accuracy will depend on a lot of other factors, the subjects (flat surface, human face...), the lighting (bright, dark, flash), the distance to your subjects and your AF mode... It's very hard to be specific.

I don't know about the 85 but my 35 f/1.4 on my K5 or Kr is pretty much 100% accurate when shooting portraits. For shooting wider shots, like an outdoor scenery it's been very decent. But those are usually shot at much smaller aperture (i.e. f/5.6-f/11)

Wide open, the DoF is so shallow that any lens is bound to show any slight misfocussing, the 35 DoF is shallow and the 85 will only be shallower. I tried some close up shots of someone's eye at f/1.4 there is now way I could get the whole eye in focus, especially if at an angle. AF was pretty consistent at locking focus at the same point however.

As it is often the case, each lens will also be different.

03-29-2014, 02:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, my interest is in using it as a portrait lens.

I specifically want comments on F2 or faster as I don't want to have to stop down to overcome focus error.

I know that F2 or faster will have shallower depth of field hence my question at accuracy as that's obviously more critical at faster f stops.

I also typically select the af point when I do portraits.

Anyway, more comments on the af accuracy would be appreciated.

Howie B
03-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

While I don't recommend the center AF point for most shooting, how does the AF perform when you do? The reason I ask is this lens' resolution is heavily biased toward the center. And many lenses struggle with resolution throughout the widest stop - Sigma sometimes more than others. So I'm wondering if this is a factor here.
03-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx DSims but I am trying to gauge opinion before a possible purchase.

For my intended purpose of portraits, centre only af point is not feasible.

Thanks for your reply.
03-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Thanx DSims but I am trying to gauge opinion before a possible purchase.
In that case, I stay away from Sigma most of the time. I got an FA77 instead, and later replaced it with an FA*85/1.4. It focuses very well - so well that I often use it to shoot fast action sports. Plus IQ and sharpness is very strong at f/1.6 to f/1.8. And even for action I avoid center point AF, because it would ruin my composition most of the time.

I highly doubt the IQ of the Sigma can match either the FA77 or FA*85 if all are shot at f/1.8.

03-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Can anyone using this lens please tell me how well it focusses at F2 or faster on the K3 or K5 ii.

I am mainly interested in focus accuracy but comments on focus speed would also be appreciated.

Howie B
My Sigma 85mm is probably my most accurate lens. Speed isn't super fast, but its as fast as my 31mm LTD. I probably shoot my 85mm at F/2.8 -F/4.0 the most, by I have no problem with F/2. IQ of the Sigma 85mm is fantastic.