Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The DA40mm/2.8 Limited arrived today. It is so cute! I will test it out soon. Every single time I've received some new gear from this group's sale forum, the day it arrives is cloudy and overcast. True to form, the lens shows up today and it's beginning to cloud over outside. I will test the lens regardless, but it would be nice, just once, to have some blue skies when I get home with a new lens. Argh.

As for it being so close to the 35mm. Well. My husband is making noises about getting his own camera (He wants a K-3). So there's a good chance we'll be sharing lenses.

05-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually... for the most part, sunny and bright days are worse than cloudy days for taking pictures. Cloudy days will help your colors stand out more...

Sunny days are good to test lens flare, and to see if what kind of hood will work for it... if it needs one. The DA 15 obviously doesn't...
05-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Actually... for the most part, sunny and bright days are worse than cloudy days for taking pictures. Cloudy days will help your colors stand out more...

Sunny days are good to test lens flare, and to see if what kind of hood will work for it... if it needs one. The DA 15 obviously doesn't...
That DA 15 is amazing. I took pictures of the sun full on and it did just fine. At least it's not raining today!
05-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 15 does have a lens hood. I use it all the time. Just my two cents.

05-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes I used the hood. I had enough light coming directly at me.
06-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm starting to think of telephoto lenses. Is the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI Autofocus really that bad? I bought it right before I discovered this forum, and it's not rated very highly here at all. What is a good replacement for it? I'd prefer a zoom, but could be convinced to get a prime.

I'd love to get my hands on a Bigma, but it's a bit above my price range. A dedicated 300mm seems like a good idea. Maybe an older lens. Any suggestions?

Also I do plan to use my Tamron until I get something better. How do you coax the best performance out of it?
06-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
I'm starting to think of telephoto lenses. Is the Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI Autofocus really that bad? I bought it right before I discovered this forum, and it's not rated very highly here at all. What is a good replacement for it? I'd prefer a zoom, but could be convinced to get a prime.

I'd love to get my hands on a Bigma, but it's a bit above my price range. A dedicated 300mm seems like a good idea. Maybe an older lens. Any suggestions?

Also I do plan to use my Tamron until I get something better. How do you coax the best performance out of it?
The real problem with older lenses is purple fringing, they aren't correct for CA as much as modern lenses and the purple fringing can be disturbing. And to get good quality older lens, in telephoto they are hard to find and expensive. My dream for awhile was to save money and get a faster lens like an FA* 300 2.8. I found one at $3500 and subsequent searches have shown that's a pretty good deal for one. You look at that and a DA* 300 ƒ4 doesn't seem so bad.

I use an A-400 as much as possible, it's consumer quality 400, but if shoot at bird above me in a tree, the purple fringing makes the images almost too bad to post. Sure I can et rid of it, with an hour or so of post processing, and sometimes even that doesn't work. We have an old F-70-210 that's an awesome telephoto, but you have to be aware, any high contrast of severe back light situation is going to lead to fringing. The Older 300s all cost money as far as I know. I've looked in to couple of FA 300 4.5s as well, it's a great lens, but not much cheaper than the DA*, slower and old instead of new with a warranty. I also recently saw an older A-300 2.8 with an asking price of $1700.

In telephotos, the only way to get good is to pay. Too many people want one...the second hand market can't keep up with demand. Or else get lucky. Every now and then someone sells one cheap and someone gets a deal, just so far not me.

06-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In telephotos, the only way to get good is to pay. Too many people want one...the second hand market can't keep up with demand. Or else get lucky. Every now and then someone sells one cheap and someone gets a deal, just so far not me.
Yeah I was afraid of that. I have been looking around here and on ebay and other places. The well-rated lenses are all around $1000 and much over. So I'll bide my time. I'd rather not get one that I have to correct all of the time unless it just drops in my lap somehow.
06-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #69
Veteran Member

The F70-210/4-5.6 Norm mentioned (even the cheaper Takumar version) is a wonderful lens, especially for the price. You should get one first, and then start shopping for a *300 lens (the F*, FA*, and DA* versions are all very good, with the IQ having a slight advantage as you go older, but other features being nice on the newer ones). The FA* appears to be the most likely one to find a "deal" on (in other words, a price noticeably lower than the DA*). A forum member just got one for apparently about half the price of the DA* new, though he was in South Africa and purchased it locally:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/264878-300m...m-prime-3.html
06-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The HD DA 55-300/4 WR seems to be a reasonable price, even new. It's rated well. Anyone have any thoughts on that one? It's hard for me to justify getting almost the same focal range as my Tamron, but I DO have two camera bodies...
06-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Don't bother spending twice as much on a new DA55-300 unless you need the WR. FWIW, around the time I got my F*300 I sold my DA55-300 but kept the F70-210/4-5.6.

But either one's significantly better than the Tamron 28-300, so yes, you should get one of them.

The *300s are worth saving up for, so I'd hesitate to put nearly half the price of one into a new WR 55-300 when the F70-210 sells for somewhere between about $60 and $135 (depends on a number of factors).