Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rare lens price question SMC-A 1:2 A apature lens

I came across a pretty sweet find on a near mint lens and I was wondering what the value is If I decided to sell it on the marketplace.

It says SMC-Pentax A 1:2 50mm serial # 3854466

it has a A for automatic aperture I believe on the side, a feature I haven't seen for on any other old 50 for sale on here.

It has no scratches oil or fungus.

any help here?

03-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Check it out in the lens database. It was a standard lens offering and goes for around the $30 mark generally.
03-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ClinchShots Quote
I came across a pretty sweet find on a near mint lens and I was wondering what the value is If I decided to sell it on the marketplace.

It says SMC-Pentax A 1:2 50mm serial # 3854466

it has a A for automatic aperture I believe on the side, a feature I haven't seen for on any other old 50 for sale on here.

It has no scratches oil or fungus.

any help here?
Here's the lens in our lens DB:
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

$30-40 sounds about right.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Rare? I don't think so.

The Pentax-A 50/2 is very common since it was the kit lens on the Pentax K1000 film camera for most of that camera's product live. Despite having the "A" position on the aperture ring, it usually does not go for a premium price due to so-so performance.

The best way to determine value is to consider what you originally paid for the item. Another way is to do a completed auction search on eBay. You might also want to see what KEH is selling the lens for and multiply that by 0.8. Ultimately you might want to just list the lens and keep reducing the price until it sells.

Steve

03-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also purchased a SMC - A 1.7 auto aperture lens as well and have no clue about that one either

in the same shape
03-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I also purchased a SMC - A 1.7 auto aperture lens as well and have no clue about that one either

in the same shape
It's also in the DB Here are all the 50mm's:

50mm Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ahh I see the lens database now
03-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

in the same shape
See above comments. The A 50/1.7 has multiple reviews in the DB and an established price history. If the aperture ring is functional off the "A" position,* it can demand a decent price, but again, it is a very common lens and while much better optically than the A 50/2, it is still not a premium item. My review: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-50mm-F1.7-Lens.html?page=5#review1635

List it at what you think is fair and see if it sells.

Steve

* The Pentax-A has a plastic part in the aperture mechanism that is prone to breakage. When this happens the ring may jam at some arbitrary position. My copy has this problem and while still usable, I avoid taking the ring off the "A" position. As a result, I would not ask more than about $28 for my copy.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-30-2014 at 10:15 PM.
03-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
just browsing goodwill and found them both for about $10-15 dollars in fantastic shape so I decided to pick them up

I'll probably end up keeping them

I have seen 1.2 50's there as well and supposedly those go for a ton so maybe I'll jump on the next good one I see
03-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, using evilbay as a guideline - completed sales (things that actually sold), you have (with out cameras attached)...
  • 37 sales since Feb 11
  • $9.99 for a low - with a couple of sales
  • $64.89 for a high - with a couple of sales - which are really outliers
  • So that is quite a range. The median is $29
  • The Forum's Lens Database has an average price of $36.
So, I would guess somewhere between $30 and $36. Exceptional condition (new old stock) would perhaps add a couple of bucks. I am just guessing here....

03-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The f/1.2 is a completely different animal and is edging into $600 territory. But beware, many sellers either intentionally or by accident confuse this with the far more common f/2.
f/2 = $30
f/1.7 = $70
f/1.4 = $175
f/1.2 = $600
In round rough numbers, depending on condition of course.
03-31-2014, 12:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But beware, many sellers either intentionally or by accident confuse this with the far more common f/2.
Lets not let the buyers off the hook. I paid more for an A 50mm F2 than I should have because I mistook it for the F 1.2
03-31-2014, 02:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter

There are two lens sales I saw, one stating 50mm f/2.0 in March, and one (same picture) 50mm f/1.2 in January. Not sure if Ebay did anything about it, but hopefully so now that I see the same photo more than a month later in an ad description representing the lens as it should. Otherwise someone bid over $100 for a run-of-the-mill 50mm 2.0 lens. I'd like to think it was an honest mistake.

Last edited by chickentender; 03-31-2014 at 06:28 AM. Reason: removed specifics of listings - i'd rather not let Ebay make the call, not me.
03-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There are several sellers there who like to mislead and confuse people with the 1.2 and 2.0 numbers. Too many for it to be a mistake IMO.
03-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter

just browsing goodwill and found them both for about $10-15 dollars in fantastic shape so I decided to pick them up

I'll probably end up keeping them

I have seen 1.2 50's there as well and supposedly those go for a ton so maybe I'll jump on the next good one I see
Is this at a local goodwill or at shopgoodwill.com? Because pretty much anything that is worth money, and lots of stuff that isn't, end up online. The problem with shopgoodwill.com is that the people doing the listings know nothing about cameras or lenses. I have bought 2 lenses from Goodwills in Arizona and would not do so again.