Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 06:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying 2 of these TC's seems like an awfully expensive way to gain a little more reach. The Pentax 2x Rear Converter A works very well with my manual K300/4 and would probably work fine with the newer lenses and it doesn't cost too much. They're fairly common in the Marketplace. Since you end up with manual focus anyhow, why not just buy a long MF lens?

01-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
I will try stacking on my DA200/2.8. I have not seen any reason to do it as it makes more sense (for me) to put a signle TC on the 300. But for those with only a 200 it of course makes sense, so will try. As I managed to get AF to lock even on the 300/4, I would guess it to work better on the 200/2.8, but will let you know when I have tried it.
Have you tried stacking the two TCs on the DA200/2.8? I would be interested in the results.
01-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
Have you tried stacking the two TCs on the DA200/2.8? I would be interested in the results.
I must admit I have not, sorry. And now it is too dark even at noon to get any decent photos. Will get back on this when I have reason (and light) to get the teles out again :-)
12-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
This is perhaps not exactly what you wanted to see, Here the Base lens was a Pentax-A 400mm f/2.8 followed by a 2x-L converter followed by the HD DA 1.4x converter. We are looking at a handful of sunflower
seeds on a stump about 50 feet away. It was a dreary day. camera/lens settings were f/2.8 1/40th of a second ISO 3200.

The photo shown is uncropped, and the lack of focus in the foreground and back ground is associated with about 6 inches or less DOP at that distance. Probably more like 3 or 4 inches.

If I understand the effective focal length, it should be 1120mm.......... the 2X takes it to 800 mm and 40% more is an additional 320 mm

The second and 3rd photos are the same setup/location/time with first the HD DA 1.4x converter only
and the 3rd photo is with the Pentax-A 1.4x-L converter.
As between the two 1.4x converters, I have yet to form a solid opinion, but since the 2 converters are sort of targeted for differenet
usage, comparability probably doesn't matter. The dash L converter wont' fit on any of the 300mm lenses except the exotic f2.8 models and breaks
auto focus on any lens that has that

Attached Images