Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ztrejfer Quote
I'm at the moment going through Bryan Petersons's "Understanding Exposure"
An excellent text, I've read it several times. The latest edition has some additional info on digital but be aware that Bryan was a film photographer first and even in the 4th edition I find a few things that still are film based rather than digital. Just something to look out for, the majority of the book is excellent and I highly recommend it.

One trick I have learned is to turn on the red 'blinkies' in image review. Take a shot and check to see if you have any blinking red spots. I try to get just a tiny bit in the brightest area of the cloud.

04-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There was a big test of filters at optyczne.pl, They figure out that filter HMC from HOYA is even better than Super HMC HOYA (just one point). If You will using FA31 on APS-C, then maybe this is the best solution for You
04-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
A polarizer will deepen the blue color of skies and cut down on reflections from water and trees, other filters have no purpose in digital photography unless you want to use one as 'protection'.
HUH??? So it is your opinion the effects that are achieved with the use of grad ND filters, Variable ND filters, ND filters, Infrared Filters Etc have no purpose in digital photography... Sorry but I emphatically have to disagree and I venture many others would also.
04-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
effects that are achieved with the use of grad ND filters, Variable ND filters, ND filters, Infrared Filters Etc have no purpose in digital photography.
Nope, I use ND filters, and ND grads all the time. So I should have added that to my list with the polarizer. Not sure if an ND or ND grad is what the OP was talking about so I left them out. Imprecise of me. I've no experience with IR filters but if they are important I stand corrected.

04-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Nope, I use ND filters, and ND grads all the time. So I should have added that to my list with the polarizer. Not sure if an ND or ND grad is what the OP was talking about so I left them out. Imprecise of me. I've no experience with IR filters but if they are important I stand corrected.
You can use a IR filter to block visible light. Same for UV. It requires a long exposure. I honestly don't know if you can take a UV picture with a digital camera, but IR is possible.