Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Multi-addiction syndrome

So, barondla, I see from your profile YOUR other addiction is Pentax (after high-end stereo equipment) and MY other addiction is Pentax (after high-end fishing equipment).

FWIW, I am down to one functional fly rod, a reel and backup spool and simple dress-out.

I am also down to 4 K-series lenses, a KX, the K10D, 1 A-Zoom, 2 FA's and one DA Zoom. (I did cure a S-M-C Tak 50/1.4 of jaundiced glass, but I don't count that lens) so 2 bodies, 8 lenses +a charity case, and some Pentax bits in the bottom of my bag. I use them all for their intended purposes.

I WILL buy all three FA Limiteds eventually, for the same reason I own the K-series lenses, the SMC Tak and the FA's (triplicate coverage here) - they are such wonderful examples of fine craftsmanship that I want to Just hold these Pentaxes

Paul
Kirkwood, BTW
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Monochrome, thats great. I seem to attract lenses. Do agonize over what to get (3 years to get the A200 macro). This is why I still haven't bought a long lens. Can't decide between a bigma or Pentax DA300. Arghh. Need something less than the 1250 Celestron.
thanks
barondla
well, fixed the tele problem temporarilly. Just bought a Pentax SMC 500 4.5. Aperture doesn't work - yet. Just set it to 1/2 stop down from wide open and leave it there. Otherwise perfect shape . $80 with case! Wish Pentax would build a new version of this. About perfect size vs speed for what I do.

04-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How did I buy the SMC 500 4.5? A guy approaches me with this big, tall, lens case. Really tall. Asks me if I want to buy it. Looked at it and could tell it was in perfect shape except for the aperture ring. The ring doesn't change the aperture at all. Lens is as dark as night (set to about f22). Ask him how much he wanted for it. $100. Told him I had to think about that since it didn't work correctly (demoed one of my lenses). He finally took $80 cash. ASked what someone would do with a lens like that? Told him sports or wildlife. He noticed my camera had the same name on it.
Took it home and removed the aperture ring. Set it to about f 5 or so. Put it back togther and thats how I use it for now. Doesn't seem to be any linkage between aperture ring and ring underneath that actually controls the aperture. Something must be broken or missing. Doesn't bother me a lot since big teles are usually shot wide open.
Yes one of my other hobbies is highend audio. Been neglecting it lately (for glass). Love lps (have 4 turntables), have systems of tube and solid state. Speakers everywhere.
Know very little about fishing. Strange considering I live about 4 miles from Miss. river and the diversion channel is less than half mile away. Actually right now its in my front yard. No more rain for a few weeks. Please.
get into the St. Louis area to visit the recumbent bike shop. Bicycling, another passion.
also like Faust park (butterflies) and the zoo.
thanks
barondla
04-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Barondla, Faust park is my "go to" place when I want to take a few shots, I live about 5 mins from it !! Check my flickr, tons of photos from Faust...
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

On the way is a DFA100 macro.
Heather-
This is waaaaay off your OP (sorry), but why did you go with the 100 over the 50?

04-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I understand the point of the thread and was thinking the same thing the other day. I've bought and sold a ton of lenses. How things have changed. I had a pair of K1000's and a 20,50 and 135mm set of primes with a Tokina 28-85 zoom for 10 years. Perfectly suited what I wanted and I can't remember a missed shot dues to a 'missing' lens.

In the past 3 years I've owned and tested then sold over 100 lenses. Overall it's been a good experience though. I know exactly what I like and don't. haven't lost any money overall and a lot cheaper than renting if that was possible.

The kit is just about where it should be now for me. Overall it was fun to use all these different lenses.
04-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots stratman. So lucky to live that close to Butterfly House.
thanks
barondla
04-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by willis Quote
Heather-
This is waaaaay off your OP (sorry), but why did you go with the 100 over the 50?
I wanted to get something long enough to cover both plants and small critters.

Heather

04-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've already been to all my spots!

Dang! The first day I'm a member of this Board I'm thinking I should go to the Museum of Transport tomorrow and try out my brand new camera - and Stratman posts his pictures from his day at the Museum of Transport.

So tonight I'm thinking I should go over to the Butterfly House (Faust Park) and try out my brand new FA 35/2 on the pretty insects and I read that Stratman calls that his "go to" place.

I think I need to move.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Barondla, Faust park is my "go to" place when I want to take a few shots, I live about 5 mins from it !! Check my flickr, tons of photos from Faust...
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hwblanks, you will love the DFA100 macro. First macro I ever had that went from infinity to 1:1 without any tricks or modes. It just keeps focusing down. Great lens. Would be lost with it.
thanks
barondla

Enter the P&S contest #6 in the P&S forum. Any brand will do.