Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a new twist on LBA...

I call this variation of LBA LADD--Lens Attention Deficit Disorder. The person who has LADD makes a habit of buying lenses, only using them a few times at the most, and then selling them once again before they really have a chance to get to know them. You'll notice that they are constantly buying and selling on places like Fleabay and the Marketplace. They are easily distracted by the array of great lenses out there and tend to buy on impulse, not necessarily thinking about whether or not the lens would be a good long-term keeper. They can be easily talked into buying something that they really don't need.

How did I come up with this? I'm one of those people and I've realized the err of my ways. I've realized that in the long run, it makes no sense for me to have a huge collection of mediocre lenses when just a few really good lenses will do the job. Since I don't have a massive lens budget, I have to be patient and ignore the voices in my head that are telling me to BUY BUY BUY now! I need to get to know what I already have better.

This is my current kit:
Sigma 17-70
Sigma 100-300 (will possibly be replaced by the 55-300)
FA 43 Ltd.

On the way is a DFA100 macro.

At some point, I'd like to give my 43 a couple of siblings in the way of the 31 & 77.

To enhance what I can do with my kit, I also want to get a better tripod and Lightroom.

All this should have me set.
Heather

04-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
LDB
Forum Member

So you're saying have a few close and trusted friends instead of a lot of passing acquaintances it sounds like. Good advice for lenses and life in general.
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Banned

I don't even have LBA so I guess I'm safe from LADD.
04-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Heather, I've experienced something similar, but I've begun the walk down that long, slow path to recovery and it looks that you're walking that path too.

I've started to snatch up some AF lenses to replace the manual focus lenses I had/have. I picked up the F35-70/F3.5-4.5 from Fleabay, I got the F70-210/F4-5.6 from you (thank you very much), and just pulled the string on a FA50/F1.4 to replace my A50/1.7. Once I sell a few more lenses, it's going to be time to find a wide angle zoom for the bottom end of my focal range.

I don't think there are to many folks who would trade away the lenses you listed. Fill a few gaps here and there as you see fit and you'll be in good shape.

04-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To curb excessive and potentially destructive LBA and LADD, what do you guys & gals say to having an image number requirement for any/every lens bought?

What I'm talking about, is that we all agree to take X amount of images with that newly acquired lens before we can sell it. (Maybe 1,000! )

Kind of like the $175 cancellation fee for trying to get out of a cell phone contract early.

Seriously though, since I bought my Lensbaby, it's slowing me down and forcing me to think out my shots much more thoroughly, which I like!

HEY, LOOK OVER THERE...A BLUEBIRD!

And I just found $20 in the pocket of a pair of Bermuda shorts I haven't worn since last summer! Life is good!

That's right, folks; I'm going to pick my next few lens purchases like one would pick a heart surgeon!

Mike
04-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
At some point, I'd like to give my 43 a couple of siblings in the way of the 31 & 77.
i agree! i think all this dilly dallying with me and lenses when i should have just started with these 3 lenses, would have saved me a lot of money.

Last edited by k100d; 04-21-2008 at 06:10 PM.
04-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
To curb excessive and potentially destructive LBA and LADD, what do you guys & gals say to having an image number requirement for any/every lens bought?

What I'm talking about, is that we all agree to take X amount of images with that newly acquired lens before we can sell it. (Maybe 1,000! )
Not a bad idea, although i'd lower that number somewhat, no more than 250 tops.

QuoteQuote:
That's right, folks; I'm going to pick my next few lens purchases like one would pick a heart surgeon!

Mike
Not a bad approach at all. It'll save you from running out and buying lenses that you really don't need simply because everybody else is running out and buying them, as well. Would you jump off a cliff if everybody else was--never mind that you didn't have a parachute!

My next lens purchase will most definitely be a better telezoom, either the DA55-300 or Sigma 70-300 APO, as the telezoom I have now isn't that great. After that, I will take a break from buying lenses long enough to get myself a better tripod and pick up a copy of Photoshop Lightroom. After that, I'll get back to saving up towards the 31 & 77.

At some point, I'd like to have a lens collection that my family will have to pry out of my cold dead hands.

Heather

04-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm rethinking the same thing, I have bought several not so great lenses just because they were cheap, but wish I would have just saved up, and went for some decent glass. Plus, now that I have a K10D, and it doesn't play well with manual lenses, I really need to get some "A" glass, not too concerned about AF, but auto aperture is on my "to do" list with all my future lens purchases.
04-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I suspected you suffered LADD when you sold off the Vivitar macro teleconverter...after you'd been waiting for it for a month!

I've waited so long to find one at a reasonable that I'll be damned if I let it go without a few hundred photos to its name.
04-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I suspected you suffered LADD when you sold off the Vivitar macro teleconverter...after you'd been waiting for it for a month!

I've waited so long to find one at a reasonable that I'll be damned if I let it go without a few hundred photos to its name.
I just wasn't really happy with all the effort that it took to make it work properly. At that point, I decided it was time to do things right and get a dedicated macro, where I can just put it on the camera and know it's going to work like the rest of my lenses. Sure, it's expensive, but it's simple.

Heather
04-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any, Many, Big, Challenging, Any

On one's life journey as a fly fisherman, one buys and sells equipment to suit changing stages of desire, as here:
  • At first I want to catch any fish.
    • Any rod will do.
  • Then I want to catch many fish.
    • A faster, more expensive rod is necessary.
  • After a time I want to catch BIG fish.
    • A great big salmon rod is just the ticket.
  • When I have grown I want to catch challenging fish.
    • A finely-crafted, sublime and sometimes vintage rod adds to the experience.
  • In my maturity I want to fish.
    • Any rod will do.
There has to be an LBA metaphor in there somewhere.
04-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ok Heather, rub it in. Ugh!
04-22-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monochrome, thats great. I seem to attract lenses. Do agonize over what to get (3 years to get the A200 macro). This is why I still haven't bought a long lens. Can't decide between a bigma or Pentax DA300. Arghh. Need something less than the 1250 Celestron.
thanks
barondla
well, fixed the tele problem temporarilly. Just bought a Pentax SMC 500 4.5. Aperture doesn't work - yet. Just set it to 1/2 stop down from wide open and leave it there. Otherwise perfect shape . $80 with case! Wish Pentax would build a new version of this. About perfect size vs speed for what I do.
04-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #14
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Monochrome, thats great. I seem to attract lenses. Do agonize over what to get (3 years to get the A200 macro). This is why I still haven't bought a long lens. Can't decide between a bigma or Pentax DA300. Arghh. Need something less than the 1250 Celestron.
thanks
barondla
well, fixed the tele problem temporarilly. Just bought a Pentax SMC 500 4.5. Aperture doesn't work - yet. Just set it to 1/2 stop down from wide open and leave it there. Otherwise perfect shape . $80 with case! Wish Pentax would build a new version of this. About perfect size vs speed for what I do.
Nice........
04-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
How (and where) on Earth did that happen!?!?!?