Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Improperly cleaned Vivitar S1 70-210mm v2?

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone knew of an exploded diagram somewhere, maintenance manual, anything, for the Series 1 70-210mm (Tokina version) ? I am thinking about taking it apart and confirming that all lens elements were put together right, as every time I bring it on a photo run, it is usually outshone by my 50mm Ricoh XR Rikenon lens (which costed considerably less to obtain). At 200mm, purple fringing and CA in general is easily a problem, and it is not as sharp as I expected of a lens worth $500 in its heyday, even when stopped down to f5.6 or f8. The focus point also changes when I zoom in or out, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that. I'm using it on a Micro Four Thirds body though, so I don't know if the 2x crop factor is what's making the errors more apparent.

Thanks!

edit:: Right, forgot to mention, I can't truly land infinity focus either. It gets close, but not there, though that might just be my PK to m4/3 adapter :|. Also one thing I HAVE noticed is that it behaves...sometimes. Maybe there's an element loose or something.

Last edited by ablahblah; 04-01-2014 at 03:04 PM.
04-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ablahblah Quote
Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone knew of an exploded diagram somewhere, maintenance manual, anything, for the Series 1 70-210mm (Tokina version) ? I am thinking about taking it apart and confirming that all lens elements were put together right, as every time I bring it on a photo run, it is outshone by my 50mm Ricoh XR Rikenon lens (which costed considerably less to obtain). At 200mm, purple fringing and CA in general is easily a problem, and it is not as sharp as I expected of a lens worth $500 in its heyday, even when stopped down to f5.6 or f8. The focus point also changes when I zoom in or out, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to do that. I'm using it on a Micro Four Thirds body though, so I don't know if the 2x crop factor is what's making the errors more apparent.

Thanks!
I sold my Tokina VS1 because of the purple fringing! My impression from online comments is that we are not the only ones...
I think if there was anything out of alignment fixable on a diy basis you wouldn't be complaining about PF you would have images looking like my post on Tak 200mm f3.5, which had a loose element.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/253...mar-200mm.html

And TBH I would expect a good nifty fifty to show better than a vintage zoom
04-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Now that I think of it, I think there might be something loose. Sometimes the focus is there where I want it, sometimes it's just barely out of focus and refuses to be truly sharp anywhere.

Small update, I just took a look through it with a light, is this hazy spot what I think it is...(fungus)? *dreads*

Last edited by ablahblah; 04-01-2014 at 03:23 PM.
04-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ablahblah Quote
Sometimes the focus is there where I want it, sometimes it's just barely out of focus and refuses to be truly sharp anywhere.
That could indeed be symptomatic of a loose element.
As far as fungus goes, impossible to see if there is fungus from your pic. However I have had a number of lenses with fungus and on most of them I couldn't detect any impact on IQ. A spot or dendril or two won't have any more effect than a bit of dust. The fungus-in-lenses thing is a bit like finding a wee spot on a clean shirt - the eugh is out of proportion to the actuality.

04-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Fungus is a common problem with these '70's Vivitar Zooms. I've bough 4 of various 70-200 90-210 Kiron and Tokina - whatever, and of the 4, 2 were useless because of fungus. It wan't 'tentacle' fungus as I had seen before. Instead it was almost like an internal element was painted white - both had an internal element half-white, half clear. And not along the edges - one-half of the lens - 1/2 of the 'pie' was white - 1/2 clear.
04-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Fungus is a common problem with these '70's Vivitar Zooms. I've bough 4 of various 70-200 90-210 Kiron and Tokina - whatever, and of the 4, 2 were useless because of fungus. It wan't 'tentacle' fungus as I had seen before. Instead it was almost like an internal element was painted white - both had an internal element half-white, half clear. And not along the edges - one-half of the lens - 1/2 of the 'pie' was white - 1/2 clear.
That much fungus will indeed ruin the IQ. I was referring to light dendrils affecting a small part of an element, cases of a few small spots, a smidgen around the edge of an element......
I have a tamron 70-210 with light fungus affecting a number of elements through the lens. The contrast on that lens is visibly diminished in comparison to a fungus free example of the same lens.
04-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
It shipped without fungus, the last place I visited to shoot was a zoo though, so that may have been it. I'm definitely sure there's spores in there...there's a light, circular haze around three regions, two 2mm in diameter and one around 4mm. I'm definitely taking this apart now then to inspect the lens groups and try to clean out this thing.

Found some nice stuff over at Boggys.co.uk if anyone else is interested.
Page 38