Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@thepirate: speaking for jsherman999, I just tried my 28/2.8 close focus after seeing his shots... the minimum focus distance is about 5 inches I reckon... I think magnification is around 1:4 or 1:5... I;m no expert so those numbers can be way off!

The Viv 105 looks to be a winner indeed... but I already have the Sigma 105 so I can't justify buying one for myself! hahaha

04-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #17
Igilligan

Hi jsherman999

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
You know your stuff. Yeah, I compared it to the SMC-M 28, a Tamron 28, and one other, I forget the brand. It was better than all of them. No idea how it compares to the Tokina, though.

Mine's made by Komine, and I really like it (it's survived several sales - just can't let it go

Here are a couple shots I have handy:

Those are wonderful shots....
Ok, now I want that lens! what is the actual name and model number you see on the lens? And the first two of the serial number or the numbers that show it is a Komine? I am putting it on the "Most Wanted List" Approx how much did you pay for it?

P.S. if it ever on the "maybe" list for a sale... please PM me.....

Thanks gus
04-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
@thepirate: speaking for jsherman999, I just tried my 28/2.8 close focus after seeing his shots... the minimum focus distance is about 5 inches I reckon... I think magnification is around 1:4 or 1:5... I;m no expert so those numbers can be way off!

The Viv 105 looks to be a winner indeed... but I already have the Sigma 105 so I can't justify buying one for myself! hahaha
Thanks Leadbelly! I was just doing a little research on it and the published data seems to suggest 9", but experience dictates one can usually move inside that some which supports your findings. I have to admit I'm not as curious as I was a minute or two ago, hehe. Still, fine shots presented here. Assuming my ZK25/2,8 comes back sharp at infinity after its adjustment, it goes to 1:2.3 (@2", which you can move into another 1/2" or so to interesting effect). I'd get little use of the 28.

I ended up reading about a 55mm macro Vivitar produced as well, the shots I've seen were ok, doesn't look on par with the 105 samples you all have presented. Anyone have the 55 and 105 to comment on this? I've noted any lens I own with close-focus/macro abilities always gets more use than anything without I have. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell the Voigtlander 58/1.4 and had considered the Zeiss 50/2 as replacement for the above reason, but I'm always up for adding a dark horse to the race!
04-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Just checked again, the closest I can get is just 4 inches... and looking at the numbers on the focus ring, it goes to just 1:5... I'm having some back focusing issues with mine though...

Double checked the serial of my copy, it, too, was made by Komine...

04-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Just checked again, the closest I can get is just 4 inches... and looking at the numbers on the focus ring, it goes to just 1:5... I'm having some back focusing issues with mine though...

Double checked the serial of my copy, it, too, was made by Komine...
Thanks for the confirmation. Its a manual focus lens is it not? I'd suggest if you are experiencing missed focus that you have a look at your diopter adjustment. Start in the middle and work out from there until you have your sweet spot.
04-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Can't wait to get my hands on this one.
Hey Voe,
Congrats, I was watching this one also but do not have the bucks in the budget right now.

Do you realize how lucky you were on this one ???
Your $220 high bid went in one second before the other $220 high bid from e***n

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  65.5 KB
04-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Oh my, the Viv 28/2.8 close focus shot these?! I have one lying around, not seeing much use (it belonged to my dad). I almost, ALMOST, gave it away last week in exchange for a camera strap worth $9! Good thing I saw your post Jay, I was on the verge of letting it go cheap (you know why...).

Yes! Actually, one just sold in the marketplace for $37, I think. I replied in the sellers posting that people should snap it up, it's a real gem (and underpriced! David Whitehurst, I think, bought it & got a great piece of glass for a song.

Yeah, take a look at the SN - if it's 28.... it's made by Komine, same folks who made the best of the vivitar series 1 70-210 lines (3rd edition.) Also same folks who made the m42 mount Viv 200 f/3.5, which is super sharp/colorful.

04-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nice. I just picked up a vivitar series 1 90mm f2.5 macro for $110. Full manual, but for macro I wouldn't use the auto functions much anyways.
04-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Woah, nice shots all. For the price, its clear these lenses are a bargain. I have a question though, how is the build quality/feel of these guys? I only ask because I've recently filled the focal ranges in question here and don't carry extra glass - but if they felt as good as they looked, I could justify those prices as 'back-up' or something, hehe.

@Jsherman999 - can you tell me the minimum object distance on that 28? I'd like to stack it up against the Zeiss 25 when mine gets back, your samples look high quality!

Kelly,

The Viv S1 105 is built like a jewel. Closest comparison I can make would be my 180 Voigtlander, although the Viv feels more solidly put together... all metal/glass. Focus action is silky smooth. It's just a beauty. I always said that the Voigt 180 and the Viv 105 were built like limiteds.

Re the Viv 28 - I can get about 5-6 inches away from subject. It's another candidate for 'fake macro' with the K20D, because it's so sharp you can crop it to 1-1 and retain incredible IQ. It's kinda like a poor mans DA 35ltd macro, in a way.

Here are some shots of the lens for Gus, so he can recognize it in the wild , and some
snapshots I took just now with it:

Prev cropped:

The Viv 28 'pops' color, as you can see, and it's just tack sharp. You can always find them for less
than $100, sometimes less than $50.

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-21-2008 at 02:32 PM.
04-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #25
Igilligan

Hi GeekyBiker and Jsherman

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
Nice. I just picked up a vivitar series 1 90mm f2.5 macro for $110. Full manual, but for macro I wouldn't use the auto functions much anyways.
Hey geekyb, is it the one with the matching macro converter with tripod mount? If it is, that is a great lens. I have one and spot on sharp and even really good without the 1:1 adaptor

From Wikipedia

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Kelly,

Re the Viv 28 - I can get about 5-6 inches away from subject. It's another candidate for 'fake macro' with the K20D, because it's so sharp you can crop it to 1-1 and retain incredible IQ. It's kinda like a poor mans DA 35ltd macro, in a way.

Here are some shots of the lens for Gus, so he can recognize it in the wild , and some
snapshots I took just now with it:

Prev cropped:

The Viv 28 'pops' color, as you can see, and it's just tack sharp. You can always find them for less
than $100, sometimes less than $50..
Thanks so much for the pic... I will be on the lookout for one... yours looks like a great copy of it... I could use a poor mans DA35 haha
04-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Voe, I almost put a bid in for that (your!) lens. I'm glad I didn't, because otherswise one of us would have paid more bucks for it! I don't really need it, so I'm happy you got it.

And seeing as we're also talking about the Vivitar 28mm f/2.8, I'll throw in a couple of pics I took with my 28mm. It's Toyo Optics, but it looks very similar to the Vivitar ones I've seen, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same lens. It focuses down to 1:5 and it's become my workhorse of late. Definitely a sleeper!. (Please excuse some dust on these pics.)

One day I will sell this lens...but not anytime soon!
04-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Nice pics guys. Build quality of the 90 there looks like a tank - just the way I like it. I'd only be considering the 55 at this point, but if that 105 came up at the price points you guys have mentioned, I'd be feeling the temptation, lol. Thanks for the infos.

K.
04-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #28
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevis Quote
Hey Voe,
Congrats, I was watching this one also but do not have the bucks in the budget right now.

Do you realize how lucky you were on this one ???
Your $220 high bid went in one second before the other $220 high bid from e***n

Attachment 11129
Actually I noticed this as well, I am really glad
Now I just hope that the lens will arrive safe and sound and nothing will be wrong with it..
my concern is that the seller did not put enough information regarding condition of the glass. I guess I will find out in about 7-10 days:|
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #29
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Voe, I almost put a bid in for that (your!) lens. I'm glad I didn't, because otherswise one of us would have paid more bucks for it! I don't really need it, so I'm happy you got it.
Thanks Miserere, that is very kind of you!
04-22-2008, 01:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Voe, so this is the lens you are going to bring along this weekend?

We can have a competition doing macro shots then

Really flattered that you got a macro just to shoot this weekend!