Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron road show

For anyone having questions for Tamron (or want to try)
Tamron Tailgate Tour
Unfortunately, I'll be away from LA when it comes here

04-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Has anyone attended? Maybe to protest the lack of Tamron K-mount support? My understanding is that there are no K-mount lenses available for demo - only Canikon. I'm going to try to drop by this week when the tour stops locally.
04-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Has anyone attended? Maybe to protest the lack of Tamron K-mount support? My understanding is that there are no K-mount lenses available for demo - only Canikon. I'm going to try to drop by this week when the tour stops locally.
Let us know if they have any lenses with k-mount. I'll make the trip to Peoria Il. If they do.
05-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I went to the Tamron Tour today. No Pentax-mount lenses, and the unofficial word was that there won't be any forthcoming.

I could only attend 1.5 of the 4 free presentations, and didn't stay for the $25 evening session. There were about 20 people attending. There was a raffle for few items after the sessions: the tickets one below and one above my number won, of course. There were free hot dogs, soft drinks, and chips for lunch.

The lenses on display were impressive, but then all it takes for me to be impressed by the physical appearance of a lens is for the front barrel to not wobble perceptibly in any position, and the lenses they brought met that requirement (as opposed to, for example, my 28-105 Tamron/Pentax, or the infamous 16-45mm Pentax.)

The presentation I attended, on camera bags, was interesting, in that I saw some products I hadn't seen before, and there were some helpful suggestions. There were quite a few obviously experienced photographers in attendance, and everyone seemed to appreciate the presentation.

05-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I went to the Tamron Tour today. No Pentax-mount lenses, and the unofficial word was that there won't be any forthcoming
Thanks for saving me a 2 hour trip to Peoria
05-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I am only interested when they expect to release the updated 150-600 for Canon that I have had on back-order for months, and hoped I would have for the airshow this upcoming weekend...
05-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I am only interested when they expect to release the updated 150-600 for Canon that I have had on back-order
Updated? How now? The model is still new and has only been trickling into the country as you have seen.

M

05-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Updated? How now? The model is still new and has only been trickling into the country as you have seen.

M
It was discovered that the AI tracking mode on "older" Canon bodies did not work - it was apparently only tested on newer bodies.. It did not track birds in flight too well, one of the major uses of the lens.

No info from Tamron of course, but being in customer service/retail tells me they are reworking it, hence the long back-orders everywhere....mine is from Feb 16...

Here are some threads on Fred...

Returned your Tamron 150-600mm? - FM Forums

Word from Tamron on the 150-600.... - FM Forums

Tamron 150-600mm timeframe? - FM Forums
05-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It was discovered that the AI tracking mode on "older" Canon bodies did not work - it was apparently only tested on newer bodies.. It did not track birds in flight too well, one of the major uses of the lens.
I was just checking to see if you heard anything beyond the FM forum threads. I am one of the complainers on the latest thread there, having returned mine in March after a few weeks and a few thousand shots on my 7D and 5DMK3

QuoteQuote:
No info from Tamron of course, but being in customer service/retail tells me they are reworking it, hence the long back-orders everywhere....mine is from Feb 16...
I can only assume that you and your employer's standards of customer service is of a higher quality that how Tamron's technical director responded to me last week. I posted a few key excerpts in one of the later threads. The bottom line is that he advised that I manually pre-focus the lens to ensure it nails its own focus between 500-600mm. For a newly released lens that's absurd and somewhat condescending.

Anyway, I'd like to believe that they are actually fixing the problem behind the scenes (sheesh, the 7D is a current model, garnering large sales large sales figures still)--or my copy was junky--so I have another one on backorder too.

For static shots it can produce very high quality, and it is shleppable, and a bargain. . .so I hope yours works great when you get it, and it's a damn shame a K-mount version isn't planned.

M
05-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At least the LA show it at am actual photo show. Simga will be there... you might have some luck with them.
05-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For those going to the Los Angeles 'The Big Photo Show' - you have a chance to win a .... Pentax!!

https://www.thebigphotoshow.com/photo-challenge-2-seriously-fun-photography.aspx

Professionally judged winners:

Grand prize: Trip for two to The Big Photo Show Los Angeles 2014, including round trip airfare from anywhere in the contiguous United States, accommodations in The Big Photo Show host hotel for up to three nights, and admission to The Big Photo Show Los Angeles, a Canon Rebel T3i kit and Pixma printer, and a deluxe frame job from On the Wall Gallery & Frames.
2nd: Pentax K-50 camera, $100 certificate from Nations Photo Lab, Metallic print from Fullerton Photographics, LumiQuest Strobist Kit, and a mini flash umbrella
3rd: Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, Creative Kit by Macphun Software, LumiQuest Strobist Kit, and a mini flash umbrella
4th: Sony a3000 camera with 18-55mm lens, LumiQuest Strobist Kit, and a mini flash umbrella
5th: Erin Manning Home Studio Lighting Kit by Westcott and Sunpak Ultra Pro 423 Carbon Fiber Tripod