Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #1

Repairing a DA L 55-300

Hi. I got a used DA L 55-300 used off the Marketplace for a really good price a whiel ago. I really loved the lens. On my K-x It did a great job taking pictures of my sons hockey games, especially in well lit areans. However I found out the drawback to the plastic mount as I accidentally dropped the camera with the lens mounted and the mount on the lens broke.

It appears that the mounting plate tabs that hold it to the lens are broken and I thnk the contacts may be damaged/missing also.

Is it worth repairing or not (I realize without seeing the state of the lens it's difficult to tell) or would it be cheaper to look for another used one, and who would you recommend for the repair?

Thanks for any help.

04-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would buy a cheap used DA 18-55mm (not L) kit lens and use the metal mount from it to replace the broken plastic one on your lens.
Old kit lenses can be found for under $50. That's a lot cheaper than spending $200 on another used DAL 55-300 or $250-$300 on a used DA 55-300.
I believe I saw a used DA 18-55 lens on KEH for ~$17 a few weeks ago. Check there. Check the marketplace. Put a wanted ad in the wanted section of the marketplace.
That is the cheapest option.
04-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that lens mount plate is a replaceable part. CRIS will give you an estimate but without them having the damaged lens in hand, who knows. Personally, I would look for a DA 55-300 WR as a replacement. Call B&H and get a phone price quote for a new one. Or watch the PF For Sale thread for a used DA or DA L.
04-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #4

I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago. The Swedish authorized Pentax service center kindly sold me a new plastic socket and contact elements for approximately 30 usd back then. The DA L 55-300 became as new again!

04-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigvee77 Quote
However I found out the drawback to the plastic mount as I accidentally dropped the camera with the lens mounted and the mount on the lens broke.
It's only a drawback if you assume a metal plate would not have been damaged. But like a shear pin in any mechanism the weak point fails. In this case the plastic lens mount, but had the lens mount been metal then it is just as likely that the camera mount would have been the failure point.

I would call CRIS and ask for an estimate, they may want you to send it in, but if they do the work they will adjust the lens back to factory specs, something you will not be able to do on your own. And something that I would think is important after a fall hard enough to break the mount. I've had them do work for me before, and I have two lenses there right now. So far very satisfied with the service and the work.

If the estimate is too high, then as others have suggested look for another used one, here on the marketplace or at KEH.

Last edited by jatrax; 04-02-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling
04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigvee77 Quote
Hi. I got a used DA L 55-300 used off the Marketplace for a really good price a whiel ago. I really loved the lens. On my K-x It did a great job taking pictures of my sons hockey games, especially in well lit areans. However I found out the drawback to the plastic mount as I accidentally dropped the camera with the lens mounted and the mount on the lens broke.

It appears that the mounting plate tabs that hold it to the lens are broken and I thnk the contacts may be damaged/missing also.

Is it worth repairing or not (I realize without seeing the state of the lens it's difficult to tell) or would it be cheaper to look for another used one, and who would you recommend for the repair?

Thanks for any help.
You do realize that typically, dropping a camera and lens will completely destroy both camera and lens? So possibly you've discovered the advantages of the plastic mount.