Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How to lubricate Takumar 35 2.3

I got an Auto Takumar 35mm 2.3 from ebay recently. It came in without caps, and there are a lots of light scratches on the front glass. But I guess the single layer coating wasn't very good anyway, and I really like the "ugly" bokeh and the soft focus effect wide open. Zero CA at all.

But the focus ring is quite stiff. I wonder if anyone knows how to disassembly the lens and lubricate the helicoid. There is not much information on the web. And I know the structure is quite different from other Takumars. It is still usable. So before I know what I am doing, I would rather use it as is.

Any suggestion/information is appreciated.

BTW, anyone has the 62mm front cap can sell? I guess not

04-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery
It is fantastic lens:
Asahi Auto Takumar 2.3/35 after cleaning
04-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
indeed! A very interesting lens. From wide-open to stop down, the lens performs very differently, with its own very strong characters.
Model lenses are too perfect in everything, thus lacking the characters of the old lenses.
04-04-2014, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Marketplace Reseller

One stupid question... How do You know that this is different from others Takumars? This was helpful for me:

Attached Images

04-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, vjacesslav.
I can not find any structural information about this lens on line. Only from one post, i read a sentence that this lens is quite different from other Takumars.
And it is different. Unscrew the fist element of the lens, you can get a 35mm macro lens! Focus to just a few inches away.
This morning before going to work, I screwed it on the K10D, and by turning the focus ring, I unmounted the genuine pentax M42-K adapter from the camera. I guess I will use it on NEX-6 in the future.
04-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Marketplace Reseller

Yes I see... If I found something I will let You know
04-05-2014, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #7

Grahame,
You can also unscrew the bell shaped part of the barrel that the front element screws into and this gives you a small amount of access to the focus helical. this may be enough for some cleaning and relubing.
Good Luck

04-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Marketplace Reseller

And maybe cleaning is enough. When I try to do similar thing with my K35mm, I´ve found, that cleaning and lubricating was not so successful as only cleaning and removing old stuff
04-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, Hoodie and vjacesslav! You are very helpful!
Just came back home 30 min ago. I will definitely try "partial" cleaning at the part I can see and reach easily tomorrow.
Thanks again!