Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need Advice About Lens With Fungus

I bought a Pentax M lens second hand which on inspection appears to have a dendritic filamentous patch spreading from the edge and reaching toward the middle on the inside of the rear element. Overall, it's about 4mm along the outer arc and extends toward the middle by about 2mm. I assume this is fungus. I tried wiping the rear element with a microfiber cloth first because it just looked like haze, but on using a magnifying loupe I see the details described.

I'm concerned about this, since it means there will be fungal spores inside the barrel elsewhere in the lens. I don't want fungus to spread to my other lenses nor to my camera. But I also like the lens, which isn't that rare, as I understand it. So I need advice. Do I contact the seller and request he accept the lens back and return my money?

04-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I bought a Pentax M lens second hand which on inspection appears to have a dendritic filamentous patch spreading from the edge and reaching toward the middle on the inside of the rear element. Overall, it's about 4mm along the outer arc and extends toward the middle by about 2mm. I assume this is fungus. I tried wiping the rear element with a microfiber cloth first because it just looked like haze, but on using a magnifying loupe I see the details described.

I'm concerned about this, since it means there will be fungal spores inside the barrel elsewhere in the lens. I don't want fungus to spread to my other lenses nor to my camera. But I also like the lens, which isn't that rare, as I understand it. So I need advice. Do I contact the seller and request he accept the lens back and return my money?
Ask for your money back. If the excrement of the fungus etches the glass, it's pretty much permanent damage.

BTW, fungal spores are in the air all around you anyhow, so if you keep your lenses dry and cool, nothing will grow. Lens fungus is not some specific animal that prefers glass elements and will "spread" to properly stored lenses. The etching and permanent damage takes a long time as well...
04-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I would not worry about it spreading, as Panoguy says fungus spores are everywhere and most likely already in all of your other lenses. They will not grow unless the conditions for growth are present which usually means warm and moist. So keep your gear dry. The fungus in your 50mm is already dead, think about it; if it was still alive it would be growing and would cover the entire lens. So at some point the lens got damp, the fungus grew for awhile until the moisture was used up and then it died.

That said, the M 50 is quite common and if the seller did not disclose the condition I would send it back and get a pristine copy. I might feel differently about an A 50mm f/1.2
04-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your assistance and advice, Panoguy and Jatrax. I've no experience of lens fungus, though I've shot enough photos of fungi in the wild . I'd be tempted to remove the rear element and clean it, but the spores would be everywhere inside, I should think. I've written to the seller about returning it, and await a response.

Thanks again.