Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

problem with SMC M 50mm 1.4

Hello all,

I've just bought an used Pentax SMC M 50mm 1.4 lens which is in a pretty good status.
However, trying to use it with my K10D camera I've encountered these problems: when I mount the lens on the camera, the apperture is opening completely, and rotating the aperture ring is useless.
But what is extremely concerning is that the camera is not shooting in any mode. I usually shot in M mode, but with this lens on, the time is not shown anymore on the display (actually in any mode on the display is just this: "F- -" (blinking).
Please provide some advice on these issues, thanks!

04-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sorins Quote
However, trying to use it with my K10D camera I've encountered these problems: when I mount the lens on the camera, the apperture is opening completely, and rotating the aperture ring is useless.
This is normal. The lens won't stop down until you go to take the shot. Also, no aperture information is transmitted to the camera, so the camera never knows what the F stop is. You have to 'stop-down' meter to get the correct shutter speed.

Follow these instructions to use the lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry. That is how it works. The aperture closes down when the shutter is pressed. And ther are no contacts on the lens to communicate with the camera so aperture does not read on the screen. Use manual mode and use the green button to meter the shot. I'm sure other replies can give you more references. Cheers:-)
04-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Adam & Sundr, it works now! You're right, I remembered this function only when you mentioned it! As I've heard it is a great lens, I can't wait to check this. Have a great day, you made mine great!

04-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sorins Quote
Thank you Adam & Sundr, it works now! You're right, I remembered this function only when you mentioned it! As I've heard it is a great lens, I can't wait to check this. Have a great day, you made mine great!
One more thing before you go out and play. The stop-down metering on your camera is not particularly reliable. The raw meter output with non-A contact lenses is not linear. The behavior varies between lenses, but you can probably expect 1-2 stops underexposure at apertures wider than about f/4.

There is an additional caution for low light and narrower apertures. The meter on your camera has a lower sensitivity limit of 0 EV(100). That corresponds to 1 second at f/1.0 at ISO 100 at the meter sensor. Normally that is not much of a problem as long as you are metering with the lens wide open. Stopped down is another situation entirely. In dim light and narrow apertures, the light to the meter may fall below that 0 EV(100). The result is an unreasonably high shutter speed. This is the case regardless of how high you set the ISO.

Steve
04-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
Steve, you're right and I observed this already while start playing with this new toy. My plan is to upgrade to K3 which I believe solves most of these issues.
However, thanks for advice!
04-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Hi Sorins,

I used to have the K10D with the M 50mm 1.4 too, for 8 years! That lense was on the camera for 90% of the time, its great! I recently upgraded to the K3 and things are not so good...

Its not the camera's fault, well... it is actually... Because the K3 is soooo much better than the K10D, I have noticed that lense its not perfect, it is not a very sharp lense. I still love my 50mm 1.4, I love big eyes. But I also purchased the 50-135, the sharpness on that is incredible. Of course, those are 2 different lenses, but if you start shooting with such high pixel camera, the flaws of the M 50mm 1.4 starts showing, the only way its to step down 1 stop. I am considering to upgrade to the DA* 55m f1.4
04-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks leungclj, it's good to know this. I'd also like to have the DA* 50/1.4, but there are already too much money to be spent (it's not just the K3 I want to buy, but also the Sigma 10-20/3.5 and the Tamron 70-200/2.8, all of these will take almost $3000 from my pocket). I have also a Sigma 28-70/3.5-4.5 and the Tamron 90/2.8 (which is great for portraits on my K10d), so I will cover pretty much all situations.