Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 17-50mm Problems WIth K-5

I bought the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens a few years ago. I was impressed with the sharpness and how compact it was, but it always had a few problems. The exif data rarely recorded correctly. Most of the time it defaulted to 45mm. This made it difficult to use a lens correction profile. When I upgraded from a K-x to a K-5, there were autofocus issues. Half the time it would refuse to focus, and I had to turn the camera off and back on again. I think I remember reading that others had similar issues with this lens, and it may have only been in combination with the K-5.

Last fall I was taking a picture of a creek and I looked away for a second, then heard a splash. My tripod fell over and my camera and Tamron lens went in the water. Thankfully the K-5 was fine even though there was no waterproof seal on the lens. The lens was waterlogged and I opened it up to dry it out. Some piece of metal broke off inside the lens and was causing the zoom ring to jam. I removed that, and the only way to zoom now was to push and pull the barrel. I continued to use the lens and at first it was still surprisingly sharp. But gradually I noticed the corners had become blurry and overall it was not very sharp anymore. So it is time to buy a new lens.

My question is, if you use a K-5 and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens, have you noticed any of the issues above? I'm not sure if I should buy the same lens again and risk having to deal with the same problems. I was considering getting the Pentax 16-50mm, but I don't like the very high price, increased size, and lack of sharpness.

04-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the DA*16-50 and I like it. I think a used one is worth the price (which is what I got). I chose it over the Tamron because I prefer the IQ (especially the colors and rendering). I disagree that it has a sharpness problem, but no DSLR lens in this class is ideal (in any make or mount). However, I do think it's the best lens in this class available for Pentax, and what Nikon/Sony/Canon offer isn't much better (if at all). Of course it has the advantage of WR too.

That doesn't mean the price difference is worth it to you, but it's just above the line (of my standard for IQ) for me, while the Tamron and Sigma are just below it, so I wouldn't have been as happy with the others. I tend to shoot mine at f/3.5 or f/4, to get better performance out of it than wide-open usually yields.

I definitely get better IQ out of my primes, but when I need a zoom I'm happy with the IQ out of this lens, and I don't usually feel like I had to make too much of a sacrifice in IQ.
04-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 ???

Steve
04-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 ???

Steve
+1

This wouldn't be my choice, but I've heard it's definitely worth considering (and I did like my DA17-70/4 FL and IQ, even though it's not as good as the DA*16-50).

04-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I had the Sigma 17-70 mentioned above and though I liked it for it's more versitile zoom range and close focus capabilities, I sold it and kept the Tamron 17-50 for it's sharpness, more compact size and smaller filter size.
04-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Why not call Tamron about an estimate for repair & calibration?
04-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I never had an issue with Tamron 17-50 & k-5/k-7/k-x/k-01, it must be something wrong with your copy, and now you have a reason to buy new so you can test it before buying or within your return period.

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I bought the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens a few years ago. I was impressed with the sharpness and how compact it was, but it always had a few problems. The exif data rarely recorded correctly. Most of the time it defaulted to 45mm. This made it difficult to use a lens correction profile. When I upgraded from a K-x to a K-5, there were autofocus issues. Half the time it would refuse to focus, and I had to turn the camera off and back on again. I think I remember reading that others had similar issues with this lens, and it may have only been in combination with the K-5.

Last fall I was taking a picture of a creek and I looked away for a second, then heard a splash. My tripod fell over and my camera and Tamron lens went in the water. Thankfully the K-5 was fine even though there was no waterproof seal on the lens. The lens was waterlogged and I opened it up to dry it out. Some piece of metal broke off inside the lens and was causing the zoom ring to jam. I removed that, and the only way to zoom now was to push and pull the barrel. I continued to use the lens and at first it was still surprisingly sharp. But gradually I noticed the corners had become blurry and overall it was not very sharp anymore. So it is time to buy a new lens.

My question is, if you use a K-5 and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens, have you noticed any of the issues above? I'm not sure if I should buy the same lens again and risk having to deal with the same problems. I was considering getting the Pentax 16-50mm, but I don't like the very high price, increased size, and lack of sharpness.
04-05-2014, 02:52 AM   #8
bxf
Site Supporter

Last fall I was taking a picture of a creek and I looked away for a second, then heard a splash. My tripod fell over and my camera and Tamron lens went in the water....

My question is, if you use a K-5 and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens, have you noticed any of the issues above?...
Nope. You must have a bad copy of the lens and/or camera.

04-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #9

I think your camera knew the lens was faulty, so it deliberately jumped when you were not looking... (Sorry, couldn't resist)
04-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Used DA*16-50 lenses are going for sale in the $600 dollar range, some even less than that. I bought mine for exactly $601 from Henrys of Canada and it also came with a 3 month warranty. You can't beat that. Love the color rendition and IQ. AND WR to boot.
04-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The only problems I've had are the need to adjust the focus by 10 (maybe could use more, but 10 is close), and 17mm shows as 17.01 in the exif.
04-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I decided to buy another copy of the Tamron lens with a warranty. The money I saved can go towards the Samyang 10mm f2.8 lens, if it ever starts shipping.
04-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have had the Tamron for just over a year now. I use a K30, but I have a similar experience to you.

- I have the 45mm issue. Not only is it a pain for EXIF data purposes, but it also causes flashes like the AF 540 FGZ to zoom incorrectly on Auto. Note, it only reads 45mm when I physically set the lens to 17mm. Once I start zooming, the lens EXIF reads as normal.

- In low light, it sometimes refuses to focus, as in, it will rack through the entire focus back and forth and never get closer to ever focusing. One thing I do is I try and "stop" the lens focusing at the approximate focused position, as once it's close it will then be able to find focus.

I have other issues with my copy. It needed a -6 AF adjustment (but now it's wicked sharp). The plastic gold ring that says "Tamron" is loose and wobbly (no effect on the operation of the lens, just annoying). I also gave the front element a couple of scratches (my fault). There's also something small moving around inside the lens motor area, I don't know what, but it hasn't affected anything (so far). My lens is a warrior lens . . .

All that being said, I think it's still the best fast normal zoom from a dollar/performance perspective. I've owned a DA* 16-50, and sold it after putting it head to head with the Tamron. Here is where the Tamron clobbered the DA* 16-50

- Price. Used Tamron 17-50's can be had for what, around $300? Probably less. The trick is to get a good copy, but they're out there. Meanwhile, DA* 16-50's are over $600 used, and not even worth considering new.

- The Tamron is much smaller and lighter than the DA* 16-50. Noticeably so.

- The Tamron filter size is also 67mm, which is the same as the DA* 50-135 (if you want the wedding/event 1-2 punch combo and not have to rock with two different filter sets).

- Also, the Tamron only has 1 barrel segment, while the DA* 16-50 has 2. Could that impact the durability? Maybe. I just follow the rule of thumb that less moving parts = less things to go wrong, so to me this was a plus (it may not be for you).

- The DA* 16-50 was noticeably softer at f2.8 than my Tamron at f2.8. At all other apertures, they were pretty equal.

The DA* had some advantages. It did view wider (though with more barrel distortion, but that's a 1-click correction so it's no biggie). It was also more durable (see my earlier description of the physical condition of my Tamron). And weather resistant (it may have handled the water better in your situation than the Tamron). It was quieter at focusing, but then you risk SDM so that's a wash (and I'd say the Tamron is a bit faster at focusing with the screwdrive).

So at the end of the day, I would say the Tamron beats the DA* 16-50, from my experience.

However, I have asked myself before what I would do if I needed to replace my Tamron 17-50. After some searching around for the options out there, I would probably get the new Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4.

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 11:22 PM ----------

Thanks for the replies. I decided to buy another copy of the Tamron lens with a warranty. The money I saved can go towards the Samyang 10mm f2.8 lens, if it ever starts shipping.
I somehow missed this post before typing out my lengthy previous entry. Despite its issues and my recommendation to consider the new Sigma 17-70 , I'm still a fan of the Tamron 17-50, so congrats!

I'll leave my post up in case another person stumbles upon it and finds it useful.
04-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Good choice.