Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

should it stay or should it go?

I have a vivitar 19mm and was wondering if it was a keeper am looking at the Fa20 and the Da21 as possible switches here are a few pics from the 19mm what are your opinions?

close focus here

04-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't help but notice that the barrel distortion is quite prominent.
04-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I can't help but notice that the barrel distortion is quite prominent.
For a 19mm prime, I'd expect some - particularly since it's a third party lens. I am also observing the highlighs are a bit blown out. Good resolution though. The resolution should be equally as good for the two lenses you're considering, so the only real issues for you to think about overcoming are the barrel distortion, flare, and how much money you're willing to part with to minimize those two demons.

Some would consider the distortion a good thing as a warped perspective can turn a plain picture into a dramatic scene. Same with shallow depth of field. I like my Vivitar 135 as it has a very narrow DOF, wonderful color reproduction, and it is fantastic for situations where you want to emphasize the subject. The DOF is fairly narrow - great effect on portraits, a rainy day, and quite dramatic in sports photography for that added impact. Point is, you can play to the strengths of the lens, and even turn a perceived flaw into an asset if you adjust your style.

04-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
For a 19mm prime, I'd expect some - particularly since it's a third party lens. I am also observing the highlighs are a bit blown out. Good resolution though. The resolution should be equally as good for the two lenses you're considering, so the only real issues for you to think about overcoming are the barrel distortion, flare, and how much money you're willing to part with to minimize those two demons.
The distortion doesnt bother me as I would expect that from something that is this wide. Should I keep it does anyone have suggestions on filters for the lens since I do not have the hood lens ? still thinking about it but leaning towards one of the pentax lenses as they are both AF and the vivitar doesnt seem to work that well with my PZ-1P but still undecided