Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, maybe the idea is that focus should be calibrated with the Sigma dock? But there isn't for for K-mount, so.. too bad, though. Seems like a great lens for a good price. And the only Pentax lens with similar FoV and aperture is the FA 31mm ltd, which is a little rare and costs a fair bit more (and apparently performs better, too, but cost can be an important factor).

04-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, maybe the idea is that focus should be calibrated with the Sigma dock? But there isn't for for K-mount, so.. too bad, though. Seems like a great lens for a good price. And the only Pentax lens with similar FoV and aperture is the FA 31mm ltd, which is a little rare and costs a fair bit more (and apparently performs better, too, but cost can be an important factor).
I don't think the focus dock can calibrate for inconsistent focus - it only seems to does microadjust. The k-3 body should be able to do the same.

The focus dock is more useful with the zooms because it allows microadjust at different focal ranges, which no body (and nobody else~) can do.
04-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Many Canon bodies allow AF micro adjustment at the shortest and longest zoom lens focal lengths.

David
04-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Many Canon bodies allow AF micro adjustment at the shortest and longest zoom lens focal lengths.

David
I stand corrected! Was mostly going for the wordplay

04-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
It is interesting, as the Sigma 28mm f 1.8 I have is great with the screw-drive autofocus, fast and accurate. I wonder whether it's the extra stop or an issue with the motor drive? If so, perhaps they'll issue a bug fix.
Seems to be an issue specific to the lens, as the 35mm F1.4 Art HSM focused perfectly!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I don't understand the flower charts sharpness test, the review favors the Sigma lens for center sharpness but to me the Pentax looks better in all settings. Maybe it's something that is seen in a larger image?
I agree. Every picture showed the FA31 as sharper IMO.

Also, the Bokeh tests only "tested" the background Bokeh and should have included a foreground series of shots. Most lenses show different behaviour for foreground and background Bokeh with one usually being quite nervous.
04-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I've read about the focus issues, and not just for Pentax. I can't remember where, since I was just browsing around for user reviews of the new Art Sigma 30, but I distinctly remember reading similar reports from other systems.

EDIT: FOUND IT

https://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma30mm/discuss/72157634329870427/
I also found a couple hits with people complaining about weird AF with the Canon version of the Art 30/1.4. Maybe it's an optical issue after all.

It's disappointing; I have the first version of the 30/1.4, but I was very tempted by the Art 301.4's HSM for use on my K-01 in very quiet environments (like museums).

EDIT: Found a couple more reviews with mentions of flaky AF. One specifically mentioned problems with subjects with a lot of reflections.

Last edited by THoog; 04-12-2014 at 10:13 AM.
04-11-2014, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

After completely reading the review.. I don't quite understand two things.
First of all, the FA 31mm ltd seems to be a better performer all over (looking at the sample photos), but the review says that in some apertures the Sigma is sharper. I just don't see it in the supplied photos.
Secondly, the Sigma 30mm was compared to the Sigma 35mm, but not at all to the Pentax DA 35mm f2.4. I know its FoV is slightly different and the aperture is quite different, but I would still be interested

04-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I think $499 is rather expensive for a lens that can't auto focus.
04-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

i was intrigued...but now not so much. FA31 wins the review overall.
04-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #26
Pentaxian

My FA35 is, out of the box, bang on, dead nuts accurate on AF. I didn't have the scratch for the FA31, but I'm not missing it right now. Sure, I'd like the extra stop of the Sigma, but f2 seems to be fast enough for me.
04-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
My FA35 is, out of the box, bang on, dead nuts accurate on AF. I didn't have the scratch for the FA31, but I'm not missing it right now. Sure, I'd like the extra stop of the Sigma, but f2 seems to be fast enough for me.
Do you think your FA 35 was a better choice over the DA 35?
04-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I had a DA35 for a little while. They are a great value, I can't really complain about it, but I didn't connect with it either.

If you're buying a Pentax 30ish lens, I think it comes down to budget. DA35, FA35, FA31. I think they are all great at being what they are and you just have to pick your price point. I haven't had the 31 and most likely won't, because I feel like I'm good at this point. The build quality of the FA is significantly better to my eyes and hands than the DA and I feel like I'm getting photos that I wasn't with the DA. I didn't own them at the same time, so I can't really back that up with test results, but it's how I feel.

I've seen some amazing and inspiring photos taken with these Sigmas. They always have that fog of "if you get a good copy" hanging over them that kept me from buying.
04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
They always have that fog of "if you get a good copy" hanging over them
Yea, I never understood that with today's lenses. I guess everyone needs to live next to bhphotovideo so you can exchange your lens 6 times just to get one that's built right. Whether or not all of this is in your head is another matter
04-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
...Whether or not all of this is in your head is another matter
Yeah, no idea myself, only what I've read. I will say that people who make the Sigma 30 lens work for them post some amazing photos.