Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
My FA35 is, out of the box, bang on, dead nuts accurate on AF. I didn't have the scratch for the FA31, but I'm not missing it right now. Sure, I'd like the extra stop of the Sigma, but f2 seems to be fast enough for me.
I found it strange that the FA 35/2 was not included in the roundup of potential options when the much slower DA 35s and the FA 31/1.8 Limited were. The FA 31, I can see, but why throw the 35s into the mix if you are not going to include the one with the fastest maximum aperture.

Steve

04-16-2014, 06:55 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I couldn't resist trying the Art 30 / 1.4. I've only played with it indoors this evening, but here's what I've found so far on the AF issue:

Focusing on a K-01 is fine. I may have gotten AF to not lock once, but generally no problems.

My K-30 had the most problems, frequently failing to get a lock when set to 11-point AF. However, I generally use center-point AF, or sometimes select-point. Set to center-point AF, the K-30 got a good lock almost every time. I'd say it was no more likely to miss focus than any other lens I've used on the K-30. The review says the problem happened in both viewfinder and LiveView focusing, but I didn't see problems in LiveView - 'course, a K-30 in LiveView is basically a K-01.

The K-5II seemed to have less trouble than the K-30, but results were similar- some problems with 11-point AF but almost none with center-point AF. LiveView focusing with the K-5II is clunky enough that I didn't put a lot of time into it.

I don't have a K-3. Feel free to buy me one for testing.

I'll post a review once I've gotten some real time in on the lens, but at this point, I'd say the AF issue is negligible if you use center-point AF or a K-01.
04-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Todd-- how's the handling of the Art 30 f/1.4 on your K-01? It's a heavy prime and I assume it would make the K-01 a bit nose heavy. but then again, it's not a long lens so maybe it's not as big a deal.

looking forward to your review!
04-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I couldn't resist trying the Art 30 / 1.4. I've only played with it indoors this evening, but here's what I've found so far on the AF issue:

Focusing on a K-01 is fine. I may have gotten AF to not lock once, but generally no problems.

My K-30 had the most problems, frequently failing to get a lock when set to 11-point AF. However, I generally use center-point AF, or sometimes select-point. Set to center-point AF, the K-30 got a good lock almost every time. I'd say it was no more likely to miss focus than any other lens I've used on the K-30. The review says the problem happened in both viewfinder and LiveView focusing, but I didn't see problems in LiveView - 'course, a K-30 in LiveView is basically a K-01.

The K-5II seemed to have less trouble than the K-30, but results were similar- some problems with 11-point AF but almost none with center-point AF. LiveView focusing with the K-5II is clunky enough that I didn't put a lot of time into it.

I don't have a K-3. Feel free to buy me one for testing.

I'll post a review once I've gotten some real time in on the lens, but at this point, I'd say the AF issue is negligible if you use center-point AF or a K-01.
If all it requires is center focus over multiple to get it to lock focus then I'd be willing to give it a try as well.

04-17-2014, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Todd-- how's the handling of the Art 30 f/1.4 on your K-01? It's a heavy prime and I assume it would make the K-01 a bit nose heavy. but then again, it's not a long lens so maybe it's not as big a deal.

looking forward to your review!
I took it out 'gardening' for a bit this morning - the opposite of what I bought it for (dim indoor work). AF behavior was like what I saw last night - I don't think anyone used to the K-01's AF behavior would complain about this lens (What am I saying??? We complain about everything! ) Let me rephrase: I don't think anyone who is used to the K-01 would notice a difference in AF behavior, except that it is silent. In bright sun, the aperture chatters a bit when the K-01 'squints'.

The lens is chunky, but it didn't feel nose-heavy on the K-01. The balance point seems to be right around the mount. Total weight with the Brick is a little more than I like for one-handing (I've been skipping 'arm day' ); the grip I preferred was with the lens cradled in the left hand - the bulge on the lens for the AF/MF button makes a convenient thumb rest.
04-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I took it out 'gardening' for a bit this morning - the opposite of what I bought it for (dim indoor work). AF behavior was like what I saw last night - I don't think anyone used to the K-01's AF behavior would complain about this lens (What am I saying??? We complain about everything! ) Let me rephrase: I don't think anyone who is used to the K-01 would notice a difference in AF behavior, except that it is silent. In bright sun, the aperture chatters a bit when the K-01 'squints'.

The lens is chunky, but it didn't feel nose-heavy on the K-01. The balance point seems to be right around the mount. Total weight with the Brick is a little more than I like for one-handing (I've been skipping 'arm day' ); the grip I preferred was with the lens cradled in the left hand - the bulge on the lens for the AF/MF button makes a convenient thumb rest.
Can you post some pictures?
04-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are a few SooC. I don't think I did the lens justice - it's not a focal length I use for 'gardening'. Follow the links back to flickr if you want to see them bigger or pixel-peep.

K-5II, f/4, 1/1250, ISO100

K-5II, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO100

K-5II, f/1.4, 1/5000, ISO100

K-01, f/5.6, 1/3200, ISO100

K-01, f/1.4, 1/800, ISO100

K-5II, f/5.6, 1/1000, ISO100

04-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

So sharp in the center at F1.4!
04-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #39
Pentaxian

very nice bokeh!
04-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a lot to like about this lens - sharpness, bokeh, silent focusing, small-ish size, and for better or worse, the AF issue does not seem to apply to me. I'm going to have to come to terms with the thin DoF - at minimum focus distance, it's around 2mm. I thought I was seeing some weird CA wide open (another PF member mentioned such), but it was inconsistent. I'm thinking it might actually be bokeh effects on the OoF edges of flower petals. I'll try to get some more (better ) shots this weekend at more "normal" ranges.
04-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #41
Pentaxian

looks like I might have to add this lens back onto my LBA list...