Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Unfortunately no, the only thing stores around here carry that I know of is Sony, Nikon, and Canon. I mean, I have really good results with the Rikenon, but I don't know, people might see it as "unprofessional". :z

---------- Post added 04-09-14 at 09:09 AM ----------

Is there anything made by like... Sigma with similar quality to the DA* for any less money?

---------- Post added 04-09-14 at 09:11 AM ----------

Of these tested, what would you say the top 3 are? Are they sharp even all the way open?
I wouldn't really worry about what others see as professional or not. It is a question of results.

The reality is that there are a huge number of lenses in the "normal" lens category, ranging from the manual focus 50s to the FA 43 to the DA *55. The differences have to do with sharpness wide open, quality of the rendering of out of focus areas, and contrast. Of these lenses, I would put the FA 43 and DA *55 at the top, but if you shoot stopped down a little, you really won't see huge differences, say, at f2.8.

04-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Pretty sure it beats the Rikenon in every respect
Have you ever used an XR Rikenon or Rikenon-P 50/2? The DA*55/1.4 is faster, but I suspect either of the Rikenons may be its match for absolute sharpness at all shared apertures. The main problem is bokeh. The Rikenons sort of suck there. Below is a full-resolution crop from the Rikenon-P on my K10D. I would be curious to see how it fairs on a higher resolution sensor.

Rikeon-P Full Resolution Crop (K10D) f/4

Full photo HERE

I would consider that the main considerations here are:
  • bulk
  • build
  • bokeh
  • maximum aperture
  • auto-focus
As has been noted many times on this site, almost all fast 50s are decent lenses and the better ones are pretty much equivalent to each other. I have quite a few and for my purposes the only points in favor of the DA* 55 are:
  • If you absolutely must have a fast AF 50 over the myriads of available vintage 50s
  • If neither the FA 50/1.4 or DA 50/1.8 appeal to you
  • If bulk is not an issue

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-09-2014 at 08:56 AM.
04-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Have you ever used an XR Rikenon or Rikenon-P 50/2? The DA*55/1.4 is faster, but I suspect either of the Rikenons may be its match for absolute sharpness at all shared apertures. The main problem is bokeh. The Rikenons sort of suck there. Below is a full-resolution crop from the Rikenon-P on my K10D. I would be curious to see how it fairs on a higher resolution sensor.

Rikeon-P Full Resolution Crop (K10D) f/4

Full photo HERE

I would consider that the main considerations here are:
  • bulk
  • build
  • bokeh
  • maximum aperture
  • auto-focus
As has been noted many times on this site, almost all fast 50s are decent lenses and the better ones are pretty much equivalent to each other. I have quite a few and for my purposes the only points in favor of the DA* 55 are:
  • If you absolutely must have a fast AF 50 over the myriads of available vintage 50s
  • If neither the FA 50/1.4 or DA 50/1.8 appeal to you
  • If bulk is not an issue

Steve
Have you ever used the XR?
04-09-2014, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Keep in mind that the area where new lenses will be better is the flare / ghosting control. Maybe the color / saturation.

If both are not an issue with your style of photography, i mean, it's not critical, and if you are completely happy with the Rikenon, don't change it !

There is no need to buy new lenses, if you are happy with what you got.

If CIF is your issue, maybe get a focusing screen instead ?

04-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Keep in mind that the area where new lenses will be better is the flare / ghosting control. Maybe the color / saturation.

If both are not an issue with your style of photography, i mean, it's not critical, and if you are completely happy with the Rikenon, don't change it !

There is no need to buy new lenses, if you are happy with what you got.

If CIF is your issue, maybe get a focusing screen instead ?
I agree -- contrast tends to be a lot better on newer lenses as well.
04-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, I have two copies of the XR Rikenon 50/2. One, I bought online to go with my XR-2s film camera. I don't remember where the other one came from.

Here are links to a few film shots:

https://flic.kr/p/7mX9dx

https://flic.kr/p/91Mt1M

I also have some digital images in my review (the lens for the review page is mine):

Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm f/2.0 Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Steve
04-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you could find a F50mm f1.7, that would probably be the cheapest auto focus option. The DA 50mm f1.8 is pretty reasonable, but certainly will be more than the 100 dollar price tag, even used.
The DA 50 1.8 sells now used for about 130-140, and the F50 1.7 for 180+. That's for nice, clean copies.

If you find the latter under 100 dollars, please let me know where...

---------- Post added 04-09-14 at 05:03 PM ----------

I have the Auto Sears 50 1.7 which is really a Rikenon XR 50 1.7 rebadged. It's alright wide open, sharp at 2.8 and pin-sharp at f4. The f2 is supposed to be even sharper, but I see nothing wrong with my 1.7.
I also have the XR 50 1.4. Super-dreamy at 1.4, ok at f2, and from f4 on it's a match for the 50 1.7 and the SMC Pentax-M 50 1.7.

None of these lenses cost me over 40 dollars...

04-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Here are links to a few film shots:
...and I found a film shot that highlights the "lively" bokeh...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2635/4175229433_0a6d7f98cb_o.jpg

Steve

---------- Post added 04-09-14 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
it's a match for the 50 1.7 and the SMC Pentax-M 50 1.7
There is not much that will match the Pentax-M 50/1.7 for overall excellence. Ditto for the Pentax-K 55/1.8.

Steve
04-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What would be better, the XR or the Rikenon? Or, should I invest in a Pentax-M?
04-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The XR is a Rikenon.

You can never go wrong with a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7. But the Rikenons are good too. Your call.
04-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The XR is a Rikenon.

You can never go wrong with a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7. But the Rikenons are good too. Your call.
Is there a difference between the XR and the -P?

Is there a difference between the M and the A?
04-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

The P is a series that is newer than the XR, so the optical formula could have changed. I'm pretty sure the coatings changed from XR to P as well.

Importantly though, the P has a little pin called the "Ricoh Pin" that can get stuck in Pentax cameras. Some people say it's very easy to take this pin off, you can probably find help online on how to do it. I only have XRs so I don't have experience with that. Love my XRs by the way.

Regarding the Pentax 50s, the A and the M are identical optics wise. The coatings might be a bit different. The casing of the lens is a bit different for sure. A few people (including me) seem to like the M better (I had an A and I sold it - I liked the pics I took with the M better, and focusing feels so nice). Others think it's invaluable to be able to have the A setting where you can shoot TAv, Av, or P modes, so they go for the A.

Again, it's your call!
04-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The P is a series that is newer than the XR, so the optical formula could have changed. I'm pretty sure the coatings changed from XR to P as well.

Importantly though, the P has a little pin called the "Ricoh Pin" that can get stuck in Pentax cameras. Some people say it's very easy to take this pin off, you can probably find help online on how to do it. I only have XRs so I don't have experience with that. Love my XRs by the way.

Regarding the Pentax 50s, the A and the M are identical optics wise. The coatings might be a bit different. The casing of the lens is a bit different for sure. A few people (including me) seem to like the M better (I had an A and I sold it - I liked the pics I took with the M better, and focusing feels so nice). Others think it's invaluable to be able to have the A setting where you can shoot TAv, Av, or P modes, so they go for the A.

Again, it's your call!
I have the -P version of the Rikenon. I didn't take the pin out of it, and I have never once had a problem. I might get an A and try it out. I may also try some of Sigma's lenses.
04-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I might get an A and try it out.
Avoid the Pentax-A 50/1.7. The aperture ring mechanism has a small plastic part that is prone to breakage. The ring may then jam in one position. The Pentax-M 50/1.7 is the same optically but is much better build-wise. If you really want the "A" feature, the Pentax-A 50/1.4 does not suffer from the aperture ring problem.

Steve

(...paid way to much once for a Pentax-A 50/1.7 with a flaky aperture ring...)

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 02:02 PM ----------

Is there a difference between the XR and the -P?
Yes, several years and quite a bit of plastic.

The XR models have metal construction and are physically larger than your Rikenon P. They may be the same optically. I am not going to tear into one to find out.

As for the dreaded "Ricoh Pin", my Rikenon P has the more benign ball-type pin and has caused no problems with my K10D. I cannot say in regards to other copies of the lens that are out there.

Steve
04-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA 55 is stunning. If you want a little cheaper with similar look - sigma 30 ex is charming. The sigma has a bit of distortion too. A manual focus gem is the K 55 1.8. I have a beater in my k55 and it holds its own against the DA 55. My best lens is my da 55.