Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
AF adjustments with 1.4TC

Good [time of the day],

somehow I felt that my K-3 isn't focusing all that well with 50-135, did some adjustments, things got better and all..
but now I wonder about the following (general) question.

Say, I have adjusted AF on a particular lens (L1) /camera (C) combo, to +8. another lens (L2) / C required adjustment to -5

What will happen, when I'll stick the AF converter between either of those lenses and the camera?
Will the whole system be seen as a new lens, i.e., L1 + TC = L3, L2 + TC = L4?

thanks,
karro, doesn't have a TC yet, can't test it out at the moment

p.s. if this has been discussed already, please close the thread. a brief search didn't return anything.

04-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting question so I had to check it out. With the TC (Tamron-F) attached to a lens that had already been adjusted it read as Unset. Sounds like it would have to be adjusted each time (unless your lenses all require the same adjustment) because the camera probably sees the TC as a "lens" and remembers the adjustment for the TC (not the lens attached to it). Not sure if that would be an issue with the new Pentax HD TC that converts focal length, metering etc. of the lens to the camera. Thanks for bringing that point up, now I'll have to remember that when using a TC.
04-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
Good [time of the day],

somehow I felt that my K-3 isn't focusing all that well with 50-135, did some adjustments, things got better and all..
but now I wonder about the following (general) question.

Say, I have adjusted AF on a particular lens (L1) /camera (C) combo, to +8. another lens (L2) / C required adjustment to -5

What will happen, when I'll stick the AF converter between either of those lenses and the camera?
Will the whole system be seen as a new lens, i.e., L1 + TC = L3, L2 + TC = L4?

thanks,
karro, doesn't have a TC yet, can't test it out at the moment

p.s. if this has been discussed already, please close the thread. a brief search didn't return anything.
Every combination of lens + Pentax 1.4x TC is treated by the K-3 as a different lens for AF Fine Adjustment purposes.

My experience is that after setting the adjustments for each lens without the 1.4x TC, none of these setting were visible with the 1.4x TC. I did the adjustments with the combination, then when I took the 1.4x TC off, all the previous settings were still there.

What I don't know is whether the general setting (using one value for all lenses) applies with and without the 1.4x TC. I didn't use that feature.
04-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks!
That's good to know.