Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What type mount is this?

Hey everyone, I recently bought an old Soligor 28mm lens on eBay, and although it was listed as Pentax-mount, it doesn't look like any mount I've ever seen. Is it M42 or something? I've never had a screw-mount lens, so I'm not sure. Will it work on my K-01, perhaps with an adapter? I tried to research it, but since Soligor sold re-branded lenses from several different manufacturers, it's hard to pinpoint exactly. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

04-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Canon FD. Doesn't look like one of the T4 interchangeable mount Soligors either. Not adaptable to Pentax K.
04-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Seller's mistake if he specifically said it was Pentax K. It is not. If you wish, you should request a return for money back with shipping, AND your shipping back to Seller. You should not be out a Dime.. Good Luck!

PS - search fleabay for something like 'Soligor 28mm F2.8 M42' and you will see what a screw mount lens looks like. These can be used in full manual mode on a Pentak K - with an adapter. The best adapter is the genuine Pentax 30120. ADORAMA has them - sometimes. Unfortunately, they are almost always backordered - as they are now: Pentax Adapter B - Adapts Pentax K Bodies to Screw Mount Lenses 30120. B&H apparently has them - for $20 more:Pentax 30120 | B&H Photo Video

If you do decide to use some legacy M42s - get the Pentax 30120 rather than some piece of Chinese junk. Yes, the Pentax one is expensive. It is also trouble-free.

I have a K-01 and use M42s exclusively, and leave the 30120 adapter permanently in the camera.
04-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Canon FD. Doesn't look like one of the T4 interchangeable mount Soligors either. Not adaptable to Pentax K.
Ahh poop, I was really hoping to test this one out. Learned my lesson I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Seller's mistake if he specifically said it was Pentax K. It is not. If you wish, you should request a return for money back with shipping, AND your shipping back to Seller. You should not be out a Dime.. Good Luck!
Yeah, I will probably just go ahead and return it since he listed it incorrectly, so it's on him. Thanks for your helpful M42 advice as well, I will look into getting the genuine Pentax adapter.

04-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could it be attached with a screw-on-FD adapter?
I'm curious about the black screw head, my dads FD's did not have screw heads on them.

Seb
04-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Could it be attached with a screw-on-FD adapter?
I'm curious about the black screw head, my dads FD's did not have screw heads on them.

Seb
That small screw sure makes it look like an adapter.
04-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Inactive Account

A screw on T-mount wouldn't have aperture control levers. I don't see the locks for either T4 or U/S interchangeable mounts.
04-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It could be Sigma Y-S mount for Canon F-1 or FTb. I don't know if Soligor ever sold any Y-S mount lenses though.

QuoteQuote:
This interchangeable mount system was developed by Sigma as competition to the Vivitar/Soligor T4 lens line and the later Vivitar TX line. It was used on some Sigma, Lentar, Upsilon, Accura and Spiratone lenses along with a few other brands.
I have an Accura Diamatic with a Y-S mount and M42 adapter.

04-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried fiddling with it for a little while today to no avail. Removing the larger black screw didn't really seem to do anything, so I am quite sure it is Canon FD mount as elliott suggested. Unfortunately I'm not a lens-conversion expert, so it will have to go back. Thanks for the helpful advice everyone!
04-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

Canon FD mount it is...
04-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
Inactive Account

C/FD and M/MD Mounts

Though these are not easily adaptable to K-mount, they 'can' be used with Pentax Q/Q10/Q7 with inexpensive Fotodiox adapters.

Since C/FD and Minolta M/MD mount lens are virtually useless except on 4/3 and Q - they are cheap. Usually really cheap. Or they should be. If yours was sold you as an M42/K, you probably paid way too much since its C/FD. Either return it, or negotiate a substantial reduction.

If you do try to use these Mount lens on a Q, check out the various Q forums before buying. Particularly the thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html

The Q is brutal on legacy glass. Any defect in resolution, contrast, or aberrations is greatly magnified. A lens just fine on APS-C can look horrible on the Q.