Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by theraven871 Quote
Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art
Apparently this lens has some focus issues notably with the Auto focus. It is a glaring problem that I've read in all the reviews for Pentax.

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 07:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sinjin Quote
I had the DA 35 f2.4 and 35 f2.8 limited at the same time.
The reviews I've read on the 35 2.8 macro lens is that it does not focus well in landscape mode and you would be better off with one of the other 35's or obviously the 31mm. Did you find this to be true?

04-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Pentaxian

a bit OT but I am on the same boat of in getting a 35mm lens, my purpose would be an all rounder lens candids, travel plus the bonus macro,

for some paid events, is the DA 35 Ltd good for ring shots in weddings?
04-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
The reviews I've read on the 35 2.8 macro lens is that it does not focus well in landscape mode. Did you find this to be true?
The DA 35 Ltd has Quick-Shift.
It's best to pre-focus manually,
and let the AF do the final adjustment for you.

Of course, as with any AF lens/body combination,
it may need some front/back focus adjustment with PDAF,
although with landscape on a modern camera,
it's easier just to switch to CDAF in live view.
04-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
that's why I think the nearly identical DA35/2.4 is still a good option.
Perhaps, though the two lenses are hardly identical, at least not in the hand. I have noticed too that the bokeh in the example photos I have seen is a bit busier than what I am used to seeing.

Steve

04-13-2014, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Apparently this lens has some focus issues notably with the Auto focus. It is a glaring problem that I've read in all the reviews for Pentax.

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 07:04 PM ----------

The reviews I've read on the 35 2.8 macro lens is that it does not focus well in landscape mode and you would be better off with one of the other 35's or obviously the 31mm. Did you find this to be true?
I actually find the autofocus on the 35mm limited to be incredibly accurate and plenty fast (on my K-5) when within a range (i.e. either macro or normal), the only problem is when it gets confused and goes searching through its entire range. In reality, this almost never happens to me and it is nothing to manually twist it back to where it should be looking when it does. I think the 'not great for landscapes' idea comes from the fact that focussing in the normal range requires only the slightest turn of the focus collar, like a few degrees, and so it can be tricky to get it correct manually. In use, however, I've found the autofocus to be so accurate and reliable that I use it instead of manual for all my regular shooting and manual only for macro. Really, as lytrytyr said, if you are doing landscapes you may be able better focus in CDAF/live view anyway so the issue is pretty much mute.
04-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #21
Pentaxian

OH and by the way, I hope you know about the sample photo gallery and the user lens review sections on this forum. Keep in mind the photos might be post processed and the rating numbers are subjective. You have to look at the actual reviews to see why they rate the lens as they do.
Pentax DA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Current Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database