Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Which lens(es) do I bring?

So it's supposed to snow tomorrow, so I won't be able to do anything outside (stupid snow...gets in the way of riding my horse...), so I'm going to head to the Denver Auto Show. I'm looking for suggestions on what lens/lenses to bring with me, so I don't have to lug everything around. The camera's a K-r, and here are my lens options:

1) Fa 28-200mm f/4-f/5.6 (film lens, but fully functional with AF and everything)
2) Da 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6
3) Fa 50mm f/2 (OLD lens, functional but no AF)
4) Fa 80-200mm f/4.5 (I'm not sure why I have this one...inherited it and while it fits and functions, I've never used it because I have the 28-200. This one's a weird lens.)
5) Da 55-300mm f/4-f/5.8

I'm thinking number 1 and 3, or just 1. It's inside, but from other pictures I've seen seems to be well-lit. Also, should I bring my tripod? It's small and light so carrying it isn't too annoying...and I lack a monopod.

Any other thoughts and/or tips are welcome!

04-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would bring the 18-55mm. Car shows means tons of people, and you may have to get really close to the cars to make sure no one can get between you and the car. That means you'll need to go as wide as possible.

Honestly, I would be pretty good to go with just that. I don't know what you would need a telephoto for, unless there was some sort of presentation or show on a stage and you wanted to take pictures of the action. Maybe bring the 55-300 just in case?

Bringing along the 50mm f2 might not be a bad idea as it's small anyways and you can use it for people shots.

Those are my suggestions.
04-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Maybe bring the 55-300 just in case?

Other things I would possibly consider; shooting over & through groups and tight shots of car parts or items. Those were things I faced at a photo show once. It seemed I was the only one there with no long lens.
04-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would second the 18-55 as your primary lens - wider is always better for when there are a lot of people. If there's enough light, try to keep the lens at f5.6 so you get decent sharpness, less CA. You'll need to keep your iso probably around 1600 or so - but at 18mm, you should be able to shoot at 1/20th pretty reliably.

I would bring your 55-300 for detail shots like emblems or if you want to do some abstract stuff.

Have fun - I think of the current batch of new cars, I'd be most interested in the new Vette, Mazda3, if they have the new Volvo (I think s60?). Of course the exotics are always cool too... Hopefully there's some classic cars there too - those are a lot of fun to shoot.

04-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote for the 18-55. Enjoy the show and post some pics after you get home!
04-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yep, 18-55 and 55-300. Have fun!
04-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I would bring the 18-55mm. Car shows means tons of people, and you may have to get really close to the cars to make sure no one can get between you and the car. That means you'll need to go as wide as possible.

Honestly, I would be pretty good to go with just that. I don't know what you would need a telephoto for, unless there was some sort of presentation or show on a stage and you wanted to take pictures of the action. Maybe bring the 55-300 just in case?

Bringing along the 50mm f2 might not be a bad idea as it's small anyways and you can use it for people shots.

Those are my suggestions.
I would also take 18-55, 55-300 and 50mm.

04-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aerlind Quote
So it's supposed to snow tomorrow, so I won't be able to do anything outside (stupid snow...gets in the way of riding my horse...), so I'm going to head to the Denver Auto Show. I'm looking for suggestions on what lens/lenses to bring with me, so I don't have to lug everything around. The camera's a K-r, and here are my lens options:

1) Fa 28-200mm f/4-f/5.6 (film lens, but fully functional with AF and everything)
2) Da 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6
3) Fa 50mm f/2 (OLD lens, functional but no AF)
4) Fa 80-200mm f/4.5 (I'm not sure why I have this one...inherited it and while it fits and functions, I've never used it because I have the 28-200. This one's a weird lens.)
5) Da 55-300mm f/4-f/5.8

I'm thinking number 1 and 3, or just 1. It's inside, but from other pictures I've seen seems to be well-lit. Also, should I bring my tripod? It's small and light so carrying it isn't too annoying...and I lack a monopod.

Any other thoughts and/or tips are welcome!
I would just bring the 50 /2. I guess I'm not accounting for the other ppeople though.
04-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Home Town Advantage?

Hello Aerlind, welcome to the Forum!
As I'm writing this, I just returned from the Denver Auto Show. Pretty good show, too, but very crowded and I'll bet tomorrow's the same.
Anyway, all you really need (from your lens selection) is the 18-55mm, everything else is too long. I was shooting ISO 3200 and getting f/5.6 to f/6.7 with shutter speeds around 1/60s-1/125s. Easily hand-holding speeds, if you're steady. Tripods are a major hassle when it's crowded, especially with kids running around. Unless you're shooting a deep-focus scene, f/5.6 should be OK up to about 40mm. At the long end, stop down to f/8.0 for better resolution.
I used a K-5 and DA 16-45mm for most of the show, but also carried my K10D with a M/F 24mm f/2.8 and DA 35mm f/2.4, plus AF360 flash w/diffuser. I did bring a fast fifty, but never used it.
One good trick in crowds is to take the 'overhead' shot, that is by holding the camera at arm's length above your head. Takes a bit of practice to get the angle and focus point right, but it saves having a bunch of stranger's rear-ends in the foreground!
The other key in crowded situations is patience. Just find yourself a good composition angle for a certain shot and...wait. Have the settings ready, even take a 'crowded' frame to check metering, then wait some more. Eventually, for about 2 seconds, a break in the crowd, you know what to do!
Your reward will be a perfectly-exposed, framed and focused, clear car shot. One click, but the right one.
You might take one spare lens also, a telephoto, but chances are you won't need it.
Good luck!
Ron
04-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Aerlind, welcome to the Forum!
As I'm writing this, I just returned from the Denver Auto Show. Pretty good show, too, but very crowded and I'll bet tomorrow's the same.
Anyway, all you really need (from your lens selection) is the 18-55mm, everything else is too long. I was shooting ISO 3200 and getting f/5.6 to f/6.7 with shutter speeds around 1/60s-1/125s. Easily hand-holding speeds, if you're steady. Tripods are a major hassle when it's crowded, especially with kids running around. Unless you're shooting a deep-focus scene, f/5.6 should be OK up to about 40mm. At the long end, stop down to f/8.0 for better resolution.
I used a K-5 and DA 16-45mm for most of the show, but also carried my K10D with a M/F 24mm f/2.8 and DA 35mm f/2.4, plus AF360 flash w/diffuser. I did bring a fast fifty, but never used it.
One good trick in crowds is to take the 'overhead' shot, that is by holding the camera at arm's length above your head. Takes a bit of practice to get the angle and focus point right, but it saves having a bunch of stranger's rear-ends in the foreground!
The other key in crowded situations is patience. Just find yourself a good composition angle for a certain shot and...wait. Have the settings ready, even take a 'crowded' frame to check metering, then wait some more. Eventually, for about 2 seconds, a break in the crowd, you know what to do!
Your reward will be a perfectly-exposed, framed and focused, clear car shot. One click, but the right one.
You might take one spare lens also, a telephoto, but chances are you won't need it.
Good luck!
Ron
Thanks for the input! I'll keep those settings in mind and see what I can do. I'll definitely post some shots tomorrow.
04-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Take the 18-55 and take a tripod if you can. That lens works well when it is stopped down to f8, and indoors you will definitely need a tripod if you do that - provided you can bring one. The cars aren't going anywhere, so a tripod will give you great pictures.