Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Woohoo! New toys have arrived.

I finally plumped for the Bigma and the Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash as my 40th birthday presents from the collection that my wife organised for me from our friends and family.

After much waiting and a little nervousness they arrived from HK this morning.

Unfortunately its p*ssing down with rain here so I am going to have to wait a few days (according to the forecast) before I can get out with Bigma.

Woohoo! Pics to follow once I have developed the necessary musculature to use it!

04-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Techno~ Quote
I finally plumped for the Bigma and the Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash as my 40th birthday presents from the collection that my wife organised for me from our friends and family.
Happy birthday! Your wife knows how to please a man!! A Bigma and a Pentax AF-540! Wow!

QuoteOriginally posted by Techno~ Quote
Pics to follow once I have developed the necessary musculature to use it!
Ahhh, but what wonderful images you will now be able to capture! I love my Bigma!
04-22-2008, 04:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ok - mebbe I'm being a bit stoopid here by my Bigma is not auto-focusing.

The camera is set to AF-S, with center focus. However, wherever I try to focus, at whetever focal length the motor begins to drive and then stops and the distance indicator on the lens doesn't move. The lock on the lens is in the 'off' position.

It is very wet and overcast here - could that be a problem or do I have more serious issues or am I just a dumb n00b who is missing something blatantly obvious?
04-22-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My engagement and wedding rings weren't that expensive. The most expensive thing my husband got me was a new washer ($900-1000). I love that washer, but I'd love a new lens even more (psst...how about a 31?).

Heather

04-22-2008, 05:08 AM   #5

Original Poster
I know that I am very fortunate to have such kind and generous friends and family.

I also managed to bag a bit of bargain by ordering from HK - the saving on the lens (even with import duty) was about 250GBP - which almost paid for the flash unit.
04-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
Just spoke to Sigma in the UK - looks like the winder mechanism is snarfed, so they will repair it under warranty.

Looks like I will have to wait a few more weeks before I get to play with it.
04-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #7

If you have not sent it in yet. Check the Sigma version of quick shift focus. The Bigma has a push pull ring just to the rear of the lock button. Sometimes it does not engage all the way. Try to move it back toward the camera ( MF ) change the focus by the focus ring on the lens. Then slide the ring forward to the (AF) position and try your AFs setting on the camera again.

I have found with mine that once in a while it does not fully engage the AF and I stand there looking through the camera and wonder why it is not focusing.

If this does not help then a service is in order.
04-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip but no joy I'm afraid.

Sigma told me to try and manually turn the drive screw on the lens in case it was a little stuck. There is a lot of resistance on the screw (compared to my Tamron) - so I assume that something must have slipped out of true during transit and the camera motor stops driving if there is too much resistance on the screw.

04-24-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Happy birthday Techno. Great presents. I am sure the wait for the repair will be worth it.