Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

Something very strange happened today.

I have just aquired the highly praised Sigma 70mm DG macro. Im using it on the K10 and everthing has been going swimingly untill i changed focus points today.

I can aquire sharp focus with all points except the 2 outermost points where i get an FF problem. I tried with other lenses and all points function as expected so it cannot be the K10.I have never come accross an issue like this before.

Should i send the Sigma back or live with the focus points that do function with this lens? What do you think, any experiences?

Peter

04-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Seems to work on mine

Funny you just brought this up, now that Spring is here my Sigma 70 has just come out of "hibernation", and I've been using it a lot these last two days. And I have been changing focus points extensively, with no problem. (Only wish the K10D had a few more selectable focus points! But that's nitpicking, I've really enjoyed this camera.) I am amazed by the sharpness and clarity of this lens. Since you just got it, if I were you I'd sent it to Sigma or else return it to the retailer for an exchange. (Unless some other users have some additional insight on this problem.)
04-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just a dumb thought but try rotating the camera 90 degrees and take the shot using the outer focusing points.

I think I read somewhere that only the central point is a cross focusing sensor, and maybe the outer two points are having difficulty with the subject at the particular angle you are shooting at.
04-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Lowell

I tried it and it didnt seem to change anything. However i did notice that the red marks for the outermost focus points are much larger than the rest, why is that?

Anyway, i just re-tested with my kit lenses and this is only happening with the Sigma.

04-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Never

You are right, the lense is helish sharp, the problem only occurs with the 2 outermost points and its got me stumped.

Peter
04-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry to bump this

But im wondering if i have missed something with the outermost spots? Is it me am i getting something wrong? I just need to go through the possibilities before i return it to the dealer tomorrow morning.

Thanks
Peter