Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Lensrentals Lens Cleaning Methods

QuoteQuote:
There are some articles I try hard to avoid writing. Politics, religion, the so-called benefits of UV filters and other things that get Fanboys riled up I avoid like the plague. So for two years, while people have asked over-and-over for me to write an article on how we clean lenses, I’ve politely refused. I’ve seen what happens to such discussions on forums — it’s an immediate call for all Fanboys to come tell everyone else they’re an idiot because they don’t use Eclipse, or do use Eclipse, or brush before blowing, or blow before brushing, or whatever.

But I’ve had over 100 requests now, so I’m finally going to cave in. Since I’ll be mentioning and recommending some products by name, my usual disclosure applies: we use what we use because we like the product, sometimes a lot. Unlike 99.9% of the internet we don’t get discounts, kick-backs, click-through fees, or sell any of the things recommended at a profit. I don’t put any links to the products to make sure that’s clear. You can find it all with a quick Google.

04-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link. I hope everyone on here reads it and takes it to heart. Especially the marketplace sellers. I don't want to be buying any crapped up lenses.
04-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's always nice to read what Roger and the Lens Rentals folks are doing.

A couple of thoughts:

1- Does it HAVE to be a Giottos Rocket Blower? Does the Giottos spew some sort of magic air that cleans a lens better? Is it because of those little stand flippers? I have yet to encounter someone recommend a rocket blower other than Giottos.

I've been using a cheap $5 "Optex" rocket blower since day 1 and it hasn't caused me any trouble. It doesn't have the flippers. That's okay. It stays at home in a cubby hole until I need it. For the field, I have a smaller, flatter blower that I keep in my bag.

Plus, my blower is blue. My favorite color.

2. Lensrentals uses the DataVac for heavy duty blowing. I read of a solution on Reddit (a lens repair guy was posting on a thread) that I think might be a) cheaper and b) better.

Remember those foot pumps that are used to inflate air mattresses for camping or when guests are staying over? Yup, they work as heavy-duty rocket blowers. Using your foot/leg takes a lot less energy than using your hand, and you can get tremendous force out of them too. Plus, if you can't find one of these in your parents' attic, you can find one at a garage sale or the thrift store for super cheap.
04-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The little single-use Zeiss pads are probably something to pack in my kits. I have lens pens, microfiber cloths and some cleaning solution in a little vial - which is handy for glasses as well. I'll have to look for the pads though.

04-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Eclipse solution and swabs are amazing.

Also wonderful is the Pentax lollipop in conjunction with the Eclipse solution and pec pads. The sticky pads that come with the lollipop isn't as sticky as I'd like, and without a case to keep the pad, they get dusty/grimey. Instead I use some eclipse solution on pecpads to clean the lollipop, and since it dries super fast the lollipop gets really sticky and clean to pick off dust.

I have the single wipe Zeiss clothes and I find that they still leave a very light film/residue. I use them before I use my lenspen.
04-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel validated that ROR is on the table.
04-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
It's always nice to read what Roger and the Lens Rentals folks are doing.

A couple of thoughts:

1- Does it HAVE to be a Giottos Rocket Blower? Does the Giottos spew some sort of magic air that cleans a lens better? Is it because of those little stand flippers? I have yet to encounter someone recommend a rocket blower other than Giottos.

I've been using a cheap $5 "Optex" rocket blower since day 1 and it hasn't caused me any trouble. It doesn't have the flippers. That's okay. It stays at home in a cubby hole until I need it. For the field, I have a smaller, flatter blower that I keep in my bag.
I have a Giottos and a finless cheapo from Amazon. The work equally great and I use them interchangeably.
The cheapo is usually in my bag (no need to stand in there) and the Giottos is usually standing on any number of surfaces in my house.

04-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In regard to the Giottos Rocket Blower, I seem to recall that they have (or at least claim to have) a filter on the air intake, so that you are not blowing dusty air at the lens. Cheap ones don't have that (though I have seen at least one competitor that claimed to have a filter as well). It's probably not a big deal if you are doing it in a relatively clean enviornment, but if you are trying to blow dust off of your lens at a dusty outdoors location (e.g.), then it would be an advantage.