Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

can i use step up adapter with tokina 28-70 f2.8-4.5 AF to tokina 50-200 f3.5-4.5

as stated above, is it possible to? i doubt it can, but since i picked up a functioning SLR with a 52mm lens (tokina 28-70mm f2.8-4.5 AF), i'd like to know if it'd be possible to use a step up ring with a 62mm lens (tokina 50-200mm f3.5-4.5 MF).

edit* oh wait, right, i just realized that wasn't possible. ignore this please!

if not, then... man, what a waste of a lens! D:

04-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm curious as I just don't understand what you mean. The 52mm and 62mm are just the filter ring sizes. That has nothing to do with the camera mount. As long as they are both k-mount they should fit on your camera, with some rare exceptions.

Or are you talking about using 52mm filters on a 62mm lens? If so you can get a step down ring but it will likely cause some vignetting.
04-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Or are you talking about using 52mm filters on a 62mm lens? If so you can get a step down ring but it will likely cause some vignetting.
Probably won't if you're using an old film lens on a crop lens camera.
04-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Probably won't if you're using an old film lens on a crop lens camera.
Good point, it might be close but should work. But I'm not sure that this is what the OP was worried about anyway.......

04-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
it was a dumb question; I was wondering if I could use those two together, then I realized that in order to do something like that I'd need some type of auxiliary lens I believe.

so as long as the camera uses (I believe this is what you said) a k-mount system, I should be all right?
I am using a Minolta maxximum 7000 (yes, I know, no h8 pls D: ) so I wasn't too sure if my other lens back at home would
fit this camera.
04-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I still have no idea what you're trying to do.

Are you trying to connect two lenses together?

Filters thread onto the front side of the lens and are measured in mm… 49, 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, and 77 are common sizes. The only thing those numbers mean is that that's what size filter you need for them.

A step-up ring is used so that you can put, say, a 77mm filter onto a lens with a 67mm thread. A step-down ring is less common, used to put, say, a 67mm filter onto a lens with a 77mm thread (which would block off 10mm of the outer edges of the lens).

There are two other, less common types of ring used for extreme macro photography -- a reverse mount ring, which has, say, a 67mm thread on one side and the other side would match a lens mount -- you use that to mount a lens backwards on the camera. The other is a coupling ring, which might have a 67mm thread on each side, and would be used to connect a second lens, backwards, to the lens that's connected to the camera. That's also used for macro photography.

The mount is a completely different thing. That's how the lens connects to the camera. Most manufacturers have proprietary mounts. You can't typically take a canon lens and stick it on a nikon. (Sometimes you can't even take a older canon lens and stick it on a newer canon -- that's one nice thing about Pentax, they've never made their old lenses obsolete like Canon and Nikon have)

If you have a Minolta SLR, you'll only be able to use lenses that are intended to connect to a Minolta SLR. Minolta SLRs didn't use the K mount -- they used the A mount, also called the Alpha mount, which is the same thing modern Sony DSLRs use. I have no idea how compatible the newer A mount lenses are with your Maxximum, since it was the very first lens to use that mount, or if it's backwards compatible with any older lenses.