Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #16
MrA

I have the Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm, but having not been in slr photography for so long, am confused by one thing - see pictures someone uploaded of the lens at
Sigma Superwide-II 24/2.8 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- what are the diagonal markings for? What is the significance of the 22-16-11-8-R-4? I'm quite happily using the manual aperture and focus ring and all is working, but am I missing something? I mean, it looks like alignments for focus at different apertures, say, except 22 appears twice...

04-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a Photozone.de review of the Sigma 24mm Super Wide. This is the AF version of this lens, but I'm pretty sure the optics are the same.

Sigma AF 24mm f/2.8 macro (Pentax K) - Photozone Review / Lab Test Report

Photodo rating: Sigma AF 24mm f/2.8 MTF data
04-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
I have the Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm, but having not been in slr photography for so long, am confused by one thing.
- what are the diagonal markings for? What is the significance of the 22-16-11-8-R-4? I'm quite happily using the manual aperture and focus ring and all is working, but am I missing something? I mean, it looks like alignments for focus at different apertures, say, except 22 appears twice...
Go here, and scroll down to the section titled Focusing on the Hyperfocal Distance; that should clear things up for you.

And here's another nice article on hyperfocal focusing.

Last edited by Miserere; 04-30-2008 at 01:47 PM.
04-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

basically hyperfocal focusing allows the background and foreground to be sharp in your photo

05-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
I have the Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm, but having not been in slr photography for so long, am confused by one thing - see pictures someone uploaded of the lens at
Sigma Superwide-II 24/2.8 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Those are the pics I uploaded that I got from the seller.

The lens came in the post this morning and it's a beauty. I've not been able to get out yet as I'm working on the night shift this week but hopefully I will get out and shoot some at the weekend.

The Sigma 24/2.8 is also joined by an SMC-M 85/2.0 that i've been hankering after for some time.
05-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Those are the pics I uploaded that I got from the seller.
It's a small world, huh? I was just going over your equipment pics yesterday and was reminded that I might want a Tokina 19-35mm

I look forward to your views on the Sigma 24mm as, from your Flickr pics, I gather that you know what you're doing behind the camera.
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
The Sigma 24/2.8 is also joined by an SMC-M 85/2.0 that i've been hankering after for some time.
Congrats, you'll love it.

05-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #23
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Go here, and scroll down to the section titled Focusing on the Hyperfocal Distance; that should clear things up for you.

And here's another nice article on hyperfocal focusing.
Many thanks. Makes perfect sense.
05-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Here are some pictures taken with the Sigma 24/1.8 EX DG. No sharpening applied.

Taken at F/1.8:

Taken at F/1.8:

Taken at F/5.6:

Taken at F/5.6:

100% crop from previous picture:

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Here are some pictures taken with the Sigma 24/1.8 EX DG. No sharpening applied.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Before, I really wanted this lens. Now I really want it.

Pic. #2 is the reason why I want it. Close focus at a wide(ish) angle with a large aperture is a look I love, especially with people. Thanks for the photos, Abbazz!
05-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I think my Sigma 24/2.8 might be a duffer.

Look at this .............

Nice and sharp in the middle but the outside looks like it has camera shake? Is it me or does this look crap? EXIF says 1/250th but no aperture setting recorded. I would have thought that at that speed, shake wouldn't be a problem.
05-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #27
Forum Member

That does look like a bum lens. Also not quite sure what you can do about, since it is definitely on the old side. Last I checked, Sigma couldn't service my 24/2.8 (bought new in the early 90s)...

Ah well. That turned me into a super happy 24/1.8 owner. That's a very fine lens, that...
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #28
MrA

There seem to be a number of ebayers selling lenses "on behalf of their brother" or somesuch, claiming to be ignorant of matters photographic. A small part of me suspects this is why.
05-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, Trawlerman, that's a SHAME. There's clearly a huge flaw in that lens. My Superwide II is tack sharp across the image area. I would say the lens was misrepresented as that's an amazingly obvious flaw.

Was it an ebay purchase? Man, I'd get in contact with the seller and try to send that lens back.

Terrible shame.

germar
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Wow, Trawlerman, that's a SHAME. There's clearly a huge flaw in that lens. My Superwide II is tack sharp across the image area. I would say the lens was misrepresented as that's an amazingly obvious flaw.

Was it an ebay purchase? Man, I'd get in contact with the seller and try to send that lens back.

Terrible shame.

germar
I agree on all accounts! Check out my flower pic posted some days ago; it was not cropped and you can tell from the bokeh that nothing funny is going on in the edges.

I'm so sorry for you, mate! I hope this doesn't put you off trying to get another copy of this fine lens (after you get your money back!).