Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
24mm Prime ......

Hi Guys/Gals

I'm in the UK and right now I'm on the lookout for a 24mm prime.

Ideally I would like to get the SMC-A 24 / 2.8 but I don't think my budget will stretch to it. I'm guessing that that is going to be a minimum of 100 Pounds plus (the equivalent of $200+ US) but I don't quite have that to spend at the moment.

So i've been looking at some 3rd party lenses.

Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8
Rokinon 24/2.8
Cimko 24/2.8
Carl Zeiss Jena 24/2.8 Macro (seen this in K mount)
Tokina RMC 24/2.8
Tamron AD2 24/2.5

So does anybody know any of these lenses? It's not for digital use per-se as I already have a really nice Sigma 10-20 for that. I intend using it primarily on my Z-1 and MZ-S.

Many thoughts

04-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have the Tamron 24mm F2.5, and have used it for years on film.

The only observation I have is it has, over 25 years of use, developed some "backlash" in the vocusing collar, where there is about 1mm of free play where nothing happens when you turn it. I don't know what has caused this, but since I went digital I have not had cause to use the lens, for the following reasons:

1) my *istD came with a 18-35mm FA-J full frame lens, that I used on my PZ-1 as it went wider than 24mm, and to go really wide on digital I, like you, also have a 10-20mm sigma.

what I am considering doing, however, is dusting off the 24mm again, but also adding a .45x front end wide angle adaptor (which I initially bought for my P&S). it gives me a 11mm F2.5 semi fish eye that covers an ASP-C sensor just fine.

I need to look again at why the focusing collar has backlash at some point when I do dust it off
04-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8
Rokinon 24/2.8
Cimko 24/2.8
Carl Zeiss Jena 24/2.8 Macro (seen this in K mount)
Tokina RMC 24/2.8
Tamron AD2 24/2.5

So does anybody know any of these lenses?
I've had the CZJ24/2.8 PK/A and Sigma 24/2.8 PK/A (bought both brand new in boxes), both lenses are pretty much the same optically (as reported by some others). The Sigma 24 feels slightly solid, but the distance wordings/marks came off quite easily. The CZJ24 is better in this regard, but its focus ring is abit too loose. The CZJ24 definitely cost alot more due to its rarity.

Both lenses are optically great, sharp w/ good color rendering. The macro (not really macro but closeups) feature is really nice.

Read some good reviews about the Tokina RMC 24, and the Tamron 24/2.5 as well.

I guess you can't go wrong w/ either one. But I'd go w/ the Sigma 24/2.8 due to its cheaper price and wonderful optical performance.
04-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Have the sigma 24/2.8 Super Wide II MF version, tried to sell it but never managed to, somehow it just doesn't fit/perform on cameras other than mine. Its one sharp lens, and worth getting in my opinion.

Here's a picture taken with the sigma 24mm with the aperture wide open - the reason for me selling the 24mm is shown in the picture:

PM me if you're keen to get the 24mm? heh

Last edited by knyghtfall; 04-22-2008 at 08:57 AM.
04-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

seeing the sigma has remined me to tell you that the tamron comes with a screw in lens hood, which means that it does not provide optimum protection against flare, although the front group does not rotate.
04-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
MrA

I recently aquired the Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8, but haven't been around SLR photography to feel comfortable saying whether it's "good" or not, merely that I get on well with it and it feels solid enough. No bad photos yet that I can't attribute to my own shortcomings!

I particularly like that for anything beyond say 4m distance, I can just use infinity focus. As I bought it to be my primary outdoor/architecture/street photo lens (am a student of architecture), so far I've pretty much left the focus ring alone for all the outdoor shots. And obviously, it's a fair bit smaller than the kit dlsr 18-55 lens, hence i foresee it as my 'normal' lens for a while.

I was at the Oxford Uni Museum of Natural History on Sunday, playing with it in macro mode for the first time. Let's just say I need more practice at manual focusing!

Last edited by MrA; 04-22-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
04-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I passed on the Pentax SMC-A 24/2.8 in the end as it went for substantially more than I could afford at the time. Final bidding was equavalent to $270 plus shipping on top.

I think that in the end I'm probably gonna go for the Sigma Superwide II as I like Sigma stuff anyway.
04-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I passed on the Pentax SMC-A 24/2.8 in the end as it went for substantially more than I could afford at the time. Final bidding was equavalent to $270 plus shipping on top.

I think that in the end I'm probably gonna go for the Sigma Superwide II as I like Sigma stuff anyway.
Good choice! well, some websites i've read rated the sigma super wide II (both the AF or MF version) higher than the pentax A series 24mm, actually. At least in sharpness, though I guess that may not be the main criteria for all photographers.

04-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account

i've got a sigma 24mm f2.8 (MF version) on the way now... hope it's good i've been getting used to my Pentax-A 50mm f1.7.
04-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I love mine...

I'm a big fan of the Sigma Super Wide II 24mm lens, got mine about 6 months ago while I was considering a A 24mm. While it doesn't have that Pentax color, the darn this is sharp as a tack wide open and has a pleasant color particularly for landscapes.

As said elsewhere, this lens is a sleeper, especially when it can be had for a third to half the cost of a SMC A 24mm lens.

Regards,

germar
04-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
Well I finally got my 24mm. I went for the Sigma Super-Wide II 24/2.8

I was out shooting this afternoon so I let the eBay Bid Assistant do the work for me whilst I was out and I got the lens for 60 UK Pounds plus shipping. I did notice that the prices for these seem to be all over the place at the moment. One went a few days ago for as little as 29 pounds, one yesterday for 80 pounds and there is one a BIN for 99 pounds.

The CZJ 24/2.8 that I mentioned in earlier post went for 48 pounds amazingly enough. I thought that would have been much more expensive.

Here's looking forward to receiving the lens and doing some shooting with it. I'm sure it will be a doozy as my other Sigma's have always given me sterling service in the past.
04-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
MrA

Congrats on the win.

I did notice that the prices for these seem to be all over the place at the moment. One went a few days ago for as little as 29 pounds, one yesterday for 80 pounds and there is one a BIN for 99 pounds.
Indeed. I got mine right at the bottom end of that price range, but it took me a while; time I have, spare funds not so much!
04-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I have the AF version of the Sigma. If you search this forum, I started a recent thread with some quick test images. The AF version has been selling in the $160 range on eBay. I was lucky enough to find my copy used in a shop for just under $60. I am very happy with it...
04-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
Good choice! well, some websites i've read rated the sigma super wide II (both the AF or MF version) higher than the pentax A series 24mm, actually. At least in sharpness, though I guess that may not be the main criteria for all photographers.
I read a shoot out on a website between all the MF 24mm f/2.8s out there (Pentax, Canon, etc.) and the Sigma beat all of them. I've tried to find that webpage but haven't been able to; if anyone knows which one I'm talking about, please post it!

In any case, after reading that, I bought the Sigma on eBay (for my K10D) and am very happy with it. The 1:4 "macro" ratio is great, but focusing is tricky at those short distances:

04-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #15
Forum Member

I've got the Tamron, and it's very nice. I also have the 28mm version, and it too is nice. However, I have the Sigma 28mm macro-mini wide, and I believe it to be superior to the Tamrons. It's just simply sharper and doesn't overemphasize certain colors. I've heard similar comments about the 24mm version.

I think any of the lenses you've mentioned or at least the ones I have experience with will give you more than acceptable results, and their proven designs have withstood the test of time.