Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

Pentax SMC A 50mm 1:2

hello just I simple Question since my first dslr will be the K3 soon my friend have a Pentax SMC A 50mm 1:2 Prime Lens that is like new condition is been in storage for years no one use it and I will like to get more info since I cant find any on the lens via internet.
thank you

04-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first link is the pertinent one. The next to have to do with using lenses without the "A" position on the aperture ring. Since your lens has the "A" position, you should be able to use all exposure modes on your camera without any special techniques.

Steve
04-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The other links are relevant if shooting with the lens set outside the "A" mode. Many people like to explore the full function of their cameras and lenses it this is normally a follow-up question.

QuoteOriginally posted by thread on metering with manual focus lenses Quote
Note: if your aperture ring has an "A" on it, instead of doing stop-down metering as per this guide, you'll want to set the ring to "A" and use the camera's scrollweel to adjust the aperture via Av mode.

04-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your k3 deserves a better company, there are many better 50s out there than A50/f2
04-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys is a free lens but the lens Im going for is the pentax 100mm WR is there a cheaper comparative on other brands?
04-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Assuming you mean the DFA 100mm macro WR that depends on whether you want it for the 100mm focal length, the WR, the macro ability, do you need the quick shift too?

And to add to the above answers, other than it being manual focus and having to tell the camera what your focal length is when you first turn it on so the shake reduction works correctly, the short answer is all A series primes work perfectly with a modern DSLR. I would never use the aperture ring when you can just turn the rear dial to change aperture manually.
The A50 F2 is a fine lens, especially for free, there are faster and somewhat better A series 50mm lenses for not a lot of money however if you decide you really like them.
EDIT: Focusing visually with a manual lens can be a bit of a bother, use the green focus confirmation light thing to tell when you are focused rather than trying to eyeball it with the useless stock focusing screen.
04-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well our main use is to take macro photo to our corals like the picture above

This photo was taken with a tamron 90mm

---------- Post added 04-16-14 at 04:50 AM ----------

This one if Im not mistaken was shoot with a 45mm or 50mm not so sure

04-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You can use the 50mm lens with extension tubes or a bellows. Unless you buy tubes with the electrical contacts you'll have to use the stop-down metering methods as outlined in the other two posts I linked above. If the rear mount on the tubes is non-conducting you may have to short the pins out on the camera either with foil or removing the coating of the rear mount of the tubes over the contacts.
04-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's good to have a dedicated macro lens if you're going to do macro that much. The Pentax 100mm is a great macro from the reviews and the pictures I've seen (it's on my list to get eventually...).

You can get the older version that is not WR (weather resistant) for a very good price in the used market - around 300-350. But the price on a new one is down considerably - I see Amazon has the D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro (latest version) brand new for 569.00 with free shipping. If you're spending money on a K-3 and your main focus is macro, it might be a good idea to go ahead and just get the (arguably) best lens for the job!
04-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks guys I already feel very excited getting my equipment soon. one other question.
as might know we work a lot with florescent light blue light etc how the camera does or lens when working in this situation. white balance etc.