Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #1

2 day festival recommendations

Yeah - this topic probably has been beaten to death ... so I apologize in advance.

I have been offered to document a 2 day arts festival, packed with different artisans, musical acts, etc. This will be my first real adventure into a large public gathering with intent of shooting comings and goings of people, crafts, and what not. There should be more than ample opportunity for portraits, crowd interaction, capturing musicians (from folk to garage/punk/indie), and arts and crafts. I will also have my wife helping me work the crowd and get people to sign release forms as photos may be used on the art festival's website. Ahhh ... things to consider when photoing complete strangers.

I currently have a kit lens, FA50, and an OK telephoto, but a gap exists between 55-80mm and I do not have a lens capable of macro work (I have extension tubes). I was thinking about renting a DA21, DA70, and the FA100 macro, which potentially should give me pretty good coverage between the 21, 50, 70, and 100macro. Plus, three of the lenses are fairly small and lightweight; a bonus if the weather turns oppressively hot.

Does this seem like a realistic set-up, or should I look for alternatives. I would prefer working with primes instead of zooms, but am not opposed to using zooms. Any thoughts/suggestions/pointers would be greatly appreciated - especially with crowd shots/merchandise, etc. Thanks!!

04-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd say the Tamron 28-75mm ... a favourite for many on this forum.
I'd get one .... but i came across a deal on a Sigma 28-70mm that was too tempting at the right price.