Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Amazing deal and lovely portrait lens

I just bought Sigma DG 24-60mm 1:2.8 EX from Cameta Camera. Final price below 250 euros shipped to Finland and what a lovely bokeh from a lens.

I haven't found a lot of discussion of this lens.

Some pics I posted on DPREVIEW:

myLBA, Sigma DG 24-60mm 1:2.8 EX, many pics: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

No, not the most analytical lens, but very nice. This lens has got some appreciation for its low price and nice IQ. For example C*non users seem to respect it very highly (see the following forum discussion where is also very convincing pics)

Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 pics - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Nice that we have so many lenses to choose from even for Pentax mount.

-Veijo-

04-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #2

Veijo, I got that lense as well, on a clearing sale here in Canada for $189CAD (CAD=USD these days). At the time I did not have the DA*16-50 yet and it looked like to good a deal to pass (LBA helping of course). Well, guess what? I use it more frequently than the DA*, which is for sale now! It is a well known lense for weddings shoots, it has an almost perfect focal spread for that purpose. It is light and sturdy, which is great when you have 2 bodies and a bag hanging around your neck! It has more than acceptable sharpness, even wide open, and the bokeh, as you have noticed, is quite good.
Granted, it does not have the sharpness of, say, a DA31 Ltd, but you don't always want that for wedding and portraits anyway!
I wish it was a bit wider at the low end, but it would probably not be as good (i.e: DA*16-50)
It is being heavily discounted these days because it is an older lens, 5-6 years old.
Good catch!

BTW: Are your shots in dpreview from Helsinki? Looks like a nice place to visit!

Gene
04-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Veijo, I got that lense as well, on a clearing sale here in Canada for $189CAD (CAD=USD these days). At the time I did not have the DA*16-50 yet and it looked like to good a deal to pass (LBA helping of course). Well, guess what? I use it more frequently than the DA*, which is for sale now! It is a well known lense for weddings shoots, it has an almost perfect focal spread for that purpose. It is light and sturdy, which is great when you have 2 bodies and a bag hanging around your neck! It has more than acceptable sharpness, even wide open, and the bokeh, as you have noticed, is quite good.
Granted, it does not have the sharpness of, say, a DA31 Ltd, but you don't always want that for wedding and portraits anyway!
I wish it was a bit wider at the low end, but it would probably not be as good (i.e: DA*16-50)
It is being heavily discounted these days because it is an older lens, 5-6 years old.
Good catch!

BTW: Are your shots in dpreview from Helsinki? Looks like a nice place to visit!

Gene
Nice to hear. I thought I was quite lonely desiring after the lens, couldn't find a lot of talk of it. Maybe the owners are taking photos

That Canon talk forum was the nail in the coffin and just had to have it. Nice I got it for so affordable price.

And yes, Helsinki it is. I decline recommending it for a visit, as everyone have their preferences. But certainly feels like home to me

-Veijo-
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #4

It's a good lens, and definitely a great deal.

... and it is full-frame (whatever Pentax is planning for the future), has a 77mm thread instead of an odd 82mm the 24-70 f2.8 has. And I think it works with built-in flash at the entire range (w/o hood).

I like mine