Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2008, 05:45 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I am not a 'hoarder' like some, Rob, but I do have these K/Ms which I have thought about moving to the market as surplus since I use the 'A' and AF versions almost exclusively. Now I won't feel so guilty if I don't.................

Flickr Photo Download: IMGP3018

04-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
How does that price compare to the usual price? The "Buy Now" price is $US579.98.
there is no usual price... if you look on ebay, other listings are priced even higher for used
there was one that went at adorama for $349
04-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks for that - I really didn't have any idea of the ballpark for that lens. I haven't found anywhere in Australia with local prices for that one.
04-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Merci, mon ami, benji.

And for those who doubted:

As you can see in the third shot, there's a bit of fungus on the lens. Actually a lot.

It's the risk you take when you buy the lens from a hockshop that keeps its lenses is a cupboard with a dodgy old MD mount Rokkor 28mm. It's the same place I bought my Rikenon 28mm f3.5 and 50mm f1.7.

It's been dropped, some time in the course of its life, and when I got it there was a Hoya UV filter jammed on the threads. A coupla things are a bit loose on it, which makes for even more error-prone focusing wide open, but it still sucks down light like a- wait, this is a family-friendly forum, right? Also amiable to alliteration, as well?

04-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

'Like the chrome off a trailer hitch ball' is one way to describe the 1.2, but I would never do that.........congratulations! A little ratty, but heavy glass for sartin'............
04-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ouch... who would do that to a 50/1.2 :'( well at least it has a good home now...

Last edited by vizjerei; 04-26-2008 at 07:18 AM.
04-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, after all the information I got, I can't resist to get my own... and it just arrived yesterday!

04-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Ok, after all the information I got, I can't resist to get my own... and it just arrived yesterday!

wow... nice!

how much for it?

04-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #39
Veteran Member

and where from?

look forward to seeing some samples vizjerei!

Last edited by k100d; 04-26-2008 at 10:33 AM.
04-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #40
Inactive Account

So that's what they look like mint!

I don't mind it all knocked around, as I can then do the BS with "Yeah. Dropped the bloody thing comin' down outta a Blackhawk with the SAS out on the edge of Kabul, back in '02..."

But I don't.

And it means I'll never sell it, unless something terrible happens.

Anyway, I'm a big function-over-form guy, so it does the job, and I'm happy.

I don't like the fact I can use filters, but I never really use them. I've put a roll of film through it - come to think of it, that's the first roll I've shot with it, so we'll see how those turn out.

Wait, what was this thread about again?
04-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Ouch... who would do that to a 50/1.2 :'( well at least it has a good home now...
You should see my Vivitar 135mm. Lotsa 'battle damage' from the snowmobile trails, slopes, & forests of northern Maine. Still working perfectly and no fungus, but it's so worn and battered that I couldn't sell it for $10.
04-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #42

Anyone has it? How do you feel about this lens? I understand it is one of the fastest lens in Pentax line. Anyone use it with K10D? or just film camera?

I had a hard time searching in the forum about it... any wide open sample will be great~

Thanks
Here's a link to the samples I've posted from mine. The cat shot is wide open and I think "Andy" may also be, though I'm not sure.:

Flickr: MajorMantra's stuff tagged with smcpk50mmf12

Wide open performance isn't wonderful but it's not terrible either. This is a beautifully built lens and it is well balanced on a DSLR. Most 50s feel a bit small even my DL but the 1.2 feels just right. I paid just $160 for mine (perfect glass, some cosmetic wear) which was an absolute steal.

Someone mentioned the A 1.2. I had one comment about that: although being able to use Av on the camera is generally easier, when you are working in ultra low light it is often not desirable to have the shutter speed changing of its own accord. It may well be better to get an underexposed shot without camera shake that can be pushed in PP, rather than a shaky well exposed one. If you're working at 1/4", 1/8", 1/15" etc. then a stop can make all the difference. Anyway, if you're using the K 50/1.2 wide open then you can still use Av if you want.

Matthew
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Allen Quote
Someone mentioned the A 1.2. I had one comment about that: although being able to use Av on the camera is generally easier, when you are working in ultra low light it is often not desirable to have the shutter speed changing of its own accord. It may well be better to get an underexposed shot without camera shake that can be pushed in PP, rather than a shaky well exposed one. If you're working at 1/4", 1/8", 1/15" etc. then a stop can make all the difference. Anyway, if you're using the K 50/1.2 wide open then you can still use Av if you want.
having a fully functioning Av on the camera cannot in anyway be worse than Stop Down Metering.
-if the shutter speed keeps on changing, the simple solution is the AE-L button
-old lenses have lots of issues metering

i like your samples

Last edited by k100d; 04-26-2008 at 03:37 PM.
04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
having a fully functioning Av on the camera cannot in anyway be worse than Stop Down Metering.
-if the shutter speed keeps on changing, the simple solution is the AE-L button
-old lenses have lots of issues metering

i like your samples
It's not worse since you can use the A lens in any manner you please and so the A lens is more versatile. To me though it's not worth paying for the extra A functionality in this case which is why I mentioned this. Bear in mind that the A lens sells for A LOT more money.

In any case, people buy these lenses for their maximum aperture and if you're at f1.2 you can use Av with the K lens if it suits you. My DSLR isn't handy at this moment but doesn't AE-L only stay locked until you take the shot?

Regarding metering, I use an *ist DL which meters perfectly with pre-A lenses. I realize though that if you have a K10D then pre-A glass could be quite frustrating. Btw, does anyone know if the K20D has the same issue with older lenses?

Thanks for the compliment. I wish there were a full frame K mount DSLR so I could use my 50/1.2 to its full potential - a normal FOV is so much more useful than a 75mm equivalent. I do use the lens on a film body as well but given the lower hit rate when you're working in near darkness I do prefer to use digital for this kind of photography.

Cheers,
Matthew
04-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Allen Quote
It's not worse since you can use the A lens in any manner you please and so the A lens is more versatile. To me though it's not worth paying for the extra A functionality in this case which is why I mentioned this. Bear in mind that the A lens sells for A LOT more money.
From my experience using several samples of both variants I believe that the A version offers greater contrast and is a little less flare prone.