Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

tristar wide angle and telephoto lens?

hi! recently picked up tristar wide angle and telephoto lenses at a garage sale. pretty good condition. they're both auxiliary lenses, as well.

i was wondering what the size is? i think they're 38mm, that's why i was asking if there was a stepdown adapter a few days ago. i think they're for the canon af35m camera, but i'm not entirely sure. anyone have any knowledge on these lenses?

04-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I understand you correctly these thread onto the front of your lens?

If so then they are not 'for' any particular camera. They just thread on the filter ring.

Step down /up rings are available but may vignette if you go too far.

In general these auxiliary lenses produce poor images so I would not expect too much. Worth a try though.
04-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
sorry if these images are too big - but this is what they look like. and yes, they do mount on the front of the lens by getting screwed in (heh).
i'd like to know the size of these lenses; i believe they are 38mm but they could be anything else for all i know. if i take a ruler to the area with the threads, it measures to about two inches. i wouldn't know the size, but the diameter is two inches. that may or may not help, but hopefully help. i just want to know the thread size.
Attached Images

04-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only way to tell is measure the thread diameter with a metric rule. Odd that it is not printed on them somewhere. Typically these are available in many thread sizes usually for a few dollars. This set looks more substantial than most I have seen. Whether that translates to better image quality i have no idea.

---------- Post added 04-17-14 at 06:49 PM ----------

2 inches might be 49mm thread which is fairly common.

04-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Only way to tell is measure the thread diameter with a metric rule. Odd that it is not printed on them somewhere. Typically these are available in many thread sizes usually for a few dollars. This set looks more substantial than most I have seen. Whether that translates to better image quality i have no idea.

---------- Post added 04-17-14 at 06:49 PM ----------

2 inches might be 49mm thread which is fairly common.
doing some quick measurements, i measured the diameter and it turns out to be about 4.5 cm. it could also be 49mm for all i know, but i really can't tell. i think i'll take it to a local shop and try to ask, hopefully they have adapter rings i could use to tell.
04-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it's 38mm threads, they're more or less intended for use on 8mm camcorders. That was the common filter size for those, if I'm not mistaken. Stepping down from a standard 49mm or larger thread on an SLR will almost certainly result in vignetting.