Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses for "The Daily Double"

I belong to a golf club where I have taken quite a few pictures and they're going to feature my shots on their website. So, I hit the daily double, I golf and take pictures, two pretty cool activities!

They want to feature a few inside shots, a couple of the new locker room which is darkly lit and a few of the banquet room. The banquet room has quite a few windows that let in a lot of light and I'll probably shoot it during the day when all the tables are set up and the room is decorated. Should I use a flash, should they be off camera, I have the Af 360 FGZ and an old Vivitar 2000 that I can trigger remotely. I'm not sure what lens(es) to use--I have the 10-17, 12-24, 50-135 and also the 15 & 40 primes. Also, should the flash be bounced off the ceiling in both locations--the locker room is pretty dark and I don't know how wide of a lens to use there.

Thx in advance for any suggestions.

04-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend the 12-24 for the banquet room interior, and also recommend shooting it as close to dawn or dusk as the setup will allow, so the interior lights are balanced by what's outside. Might not look like lunchtime at the clubhouse, but very sexy for architectural interiors with a view... and bring a solid tripod and a remote shutter release (cable or IR).

The 15mm prime is also a good choice for tight interiors like a locker room (not sure what you want to show, though). Maybe go for a very high angle (standing on a bench or something) to see if you can get more of the amenities and less of the plumbing under the sinks, etc.

Finally, for your lighting, that is an art form unto itself. Read some of this stuff from The Strobist for hints on what to do with minimal off-camera flashes. And/or really consider auto-exposure bracketing a few stops apart and combining them afterwards in a dedicated HDR and blending program like Photomatix. Even if you shoot handheld (really, you should use a tripod!), Photomatix can align the images for you if they are close enough.

Finally, I shoot hundreds of interiors a year, but they are of the most boring, featureless spaces you can imagine: film studios. Even so, it takes me a bit of walking around the space to get an idea what would show it off best of all...

Last edited by panoguy; 04-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.