Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finntax Quote
Of course there are exceptions, but this is how I mainly use my lenses.
I think the exception would be the DA50-135.

04-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice it has given me a lot to think about
04-20-2014, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey Dave, welcome.
As one who now primarily shoots Canon after mostly shooting Pentax for many years prior, my advice to you is generally that Pentax prime lenses are a lot better than most of the Pentax zooms. You will not find the consistency of excellent quality zooms that Canon offers when choosing from the Pentax line. One exception is the DA* 50-135mm. When I picked up a 7D I immediately found the Tokina version of this lens and still enjoy its quality and flexibility. That said, it's still not quite as good as your old 70-200 f4 L, which is considered one of the best zooms ever made. On the Pentax side, I preferred the Tamron 17-50mm over the similar Pentax/Tokina offerings. I used the Tamron and DA* 50-135mm to cover corporate events for years, so it's good for people and happenings.

But the Pentax limited lenses you are considering are really excellent and a core Pentax differentiator. What works for you is a matter of personal requirements and context.

M
04-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Oh, and yes, I can MAKE photographs with them too.
Yes, apparently so. What a wonderful photograph.

Last edited by rbryant; 04-20-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Double quote, oops.
04-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbryant Quote
Yes, apparently so. What a wonderful photograph.
Thanks!
04-26-2014, 04:35 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice I also have another option of
15mm limited
20-40mm limited
70mm limited
And or 50-135mm

What do you think?
04-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave_walton Quote
15mm limited
20-40mm limited
70mm limited
And or 50-135mm

What do you think?
The DA 15, 20-40, and 70 Ltd combination has now become my basic compact travel kit.
It works quite well for me, the only downside being the lack of macro coverage,
although the DA 20-40 can get down to 1:5.
04-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dave_walton Quote
15mm limited
20-40mm limited
70mm limited
And or 50-135mm

What do you think?
Make the DA 70 an FA 77 and you have a winner!

04-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Having switched from primes to almost exclusively zooms, that would be my inclination. It's partly a philosophical issue about whether you believe your prime lenses are so good they can overcome cropping and its resulting effects, because no matter what you do with a prime, on average to get the exact same viewpoint as you could get with zoom, you're going to end up using a too-short prime a good percentage of the time. Obviously there a few cases where that's not true - you're shooting wildlife and you always have a zoom maxed out, for example. But to get what you had with Canon, you need an 11mm or shorter, and at least the 135mm top end of the 50-135. The 15mm Pentax is just nowhere close to your 17mm on FF. Pentax owners have far fewer zoom options relative to prime options than owners of other brands have, so you have to accept that limitation.
04-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Ah...the age old prime vs zoom conundrum.
It depends (cop out answer I know). If I am by myself, I prefer primes. They just are more fun to me. But if I am with my wife, she can get annoyed with my lens swapping, so zoom it is.
Also, if you're going somewhere you've never been, a zoom may be the preferred way to go so you can have flexibility.
04-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Ah...the age old prime vs zoom conundrum.
It depends (cop out answer I know). If I am by myself, I prefer primes. They just are more fun to me. But if I am with my wife, she can get annoyed with my lens swapping, so zoom it is.
Also, if you're going somewhere you've never been, a zoom may be the preferred way to go so you can have flexibility.
Agreed - a zoom is great when you're going somewhere that you don't know what conditions to expect.

I think few people are careful enough to really pick the ideal zoom FL and camera position at the same time - even those of us who know better. In fact, a zoom can tempt people to go too wide sometimes - it's "safer," and they get a safe-looking (i.e. dull) shot. Or else they don't even consider changing their shooting position, and miss a better composition - they stand in one place and zoom as desired.

So I guess I'm "dull" (as they used to say in the 30's), because I can't seem to remember to pick the ideal zoomed FL, then leave it there and move around until I find the ideal position.
04-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #27
Site Supporter

At gigs and parties, my DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 are utterly indispensable.
When I can slow down and really work the shot, or I want something special (like extra shallow DoF or starbursts), I would not be without my limited primes.

In other words, both.