Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 has Trouble with two Takumars

Here's a stumper-- I'm new to Pentax so there might be a simple answer lurking. My 50/1.4 Super -Takumar exposes normally, I think, when attached to my new K5IIs with a genuine Pentax M42 adapter. But when I screw my Super Takumar 135/2.5 onto that same adapter, the camera won't fire, and the rear screen winks out when I press the shutter button. Both lenses are of the same generation, so I'd expect them to work the same way, right? With the 135, the F-- warning blinks in the OVF, while with the 50 it remains steadily lit.

Any answers, or educated guesses?

04-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Here's a stumper-- I'm new to Pentax so there might be a simple answer lurking. My 50/1.4 Super -Takumar exposes normally, I think, when attached to my new K5IIs with a genuine Pentax M42 adapter. But when I screw my Super Takumar 135/2.5 onto that same adapter, the camera won't fire, and the rear screen winks out when I press the shutter button. Both lenses are of the same generation, so I'd expect them to work the same way, right? With the 135, the F-- warning blinks in the OVF, while with the 50 it remains steadily lit.

Any answers, or educated guesses?
The lens contacts on the mount might be getting shorted by the lens that doesn't work. You've followed all of these steps, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks- changing the menu setting "Use aperture ring" helped a lot, and now both lenses are usable. I still wonder why the 50 was useable without that change, however.
04-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today I got some pretty good results with the Super Tak 135/2.8, heavily cropped. Working without auto-aperture seemed very natural. Surprisingly, the AF confirmation kept on beeping down to F8 and below! I just have to pay stict attention to what I'm focusing on.

Attached Images