Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've shot with the m85 and I was not impressed at all. I think the Rokinon is a spectacular lens so I don't know the complaints of it. The k85 is awesome but now its prices are unfair.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
So, I decided to switch to 35mm film. I do a bit of portraiture, and my K55/1.8 doesn't seem to work as well for portraiture on film as it does on my K-30 (which I'm still using too.)
So, I've decided I want to get an 85mm. The problem is, even having read through several threads, I'm still not entirely sure what to go for.

I want to avoid the Rokinon as I've seen that it has "focus shift" which would be a pain for film. I kinda like the looks of the Soviet lenses, but the prices keep edging up (like the now $500 Helios 40-2) and the quality seems very inconsistent. The Takumars, while nice, are up there in price and are relatively difficult to find. Same for the K version. The A*, FA*, and 77mm ltd are well outside my budget, unless I was to sell my 50-135 and give up the last WR lens I have.

Whatever I get will be shot on B&W and color film AND the digital.
Would it be worth giving up the WR from the DA* for a good prime, then just getting an 18-55 WR? (My concern with the WR is just having SOMETHING to shoot with when the weather gets nasty. which is only a handful of times here, admittedly)

I'm unsure. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

04-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
You may not notice indoor or low contrast scenes but I often shoot streets in strong sunlight and its sometime so bad that the only option left is to convert into B+W. Both K85 & Samyang much better here.
Perhaps the reason why I have not had a problem with PF is because we don't often get the strong sunlight that is common in the tropics. The reputation for my region is that we don't get sunlight at all

Steve
04-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I can't speak for the other lenses, but the Rokinono/Sam Yang 85mm/f1.4 is a good lens. That being said, focus is manual, and can be tricky especially at f/1.4. For moving subjects, this may be a bad choice unless you're willing to use live view and a smaller aperture.
04-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Not sure how much focus shift the Samyang has, but I think it would be a better lens on film than on digital, since the large SLR viewfinders would make focusing easier. Especially if they come with a special focus screen

04-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Not sure how much focus shift the Samyang has, but I think it would be a better lens on film than on digital, since the large SLR viewfinders would make focusing easier. Especially if they come with a special focus screen
True... With DOF preview, I could easily check the focus anyway. And after using these film SLRs, I think I might get a split prism screen for my DSLR anyway.
04-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
True... With DOF preview, I could easily check the focus anyway. And after using these film SLRs, I think I might get a split prism screen for my DSLR anyway.
DoF preview closes down the aperture, this means you see the real depth of field you'll get, but with less light because the aperture will be stopped down. With reduced light it may not be so easy to determine focus.