Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just some more random pictures from around the yard. Thanks for all of the responses.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
04-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #17

This may or may not be relevant for you but my own rule for photo taking is that any shutter speed lower than 1/125 I use a tripod. Sometimes between 1/50 - 1/80 I can get away with hand held shots if I make a tripod with my elbows on something but even then you still risk shaking when you put pressure on your shutter button.

I think your blurry photos are from shake.
04-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would appear your lens is fine. Enjoy!
04-22-2014, 12:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Technique is an important factor when trying to discern if a lens is performing up to expectations or not. With long fast lenses getting the focus right is critically important as the sloping transitions between in focus areas and out of focus areas becomes steeper as the lenses get longer.

The FA77 is a excellent lens, and yours looks like it is a decent copy. But bear in mind the FA77 is a lens that takes a while to get to know and be familiar with its quirks.

Like most good things It takes time, but it is Totally worth it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-22-2014 at 07:15 PM.
04-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To emphasize what has been said above...technique is important.
  • How do you focus? DOF is very shallow at longer focal lengths.
  • Is the camera steady?
Yep, missed focus and camera motion are the leading cause of soft photos. Now to the first point:
  • If using AF, be sure of your focus point. If you allow the camera to choose the focus point where focus is critical, it will almost always choose wrong. I use the center point almost exclusively with AF.
  • Be aware of the limitations of AF. Even in best case, the AF system may miss focus on a curved surface at portrait distance. This and the first point above are good reasons to explore manual focus.
  • Calibration of your AF system to your lens may be in order
  • If using manual focus (MF), it is important that the viewfinder diopter be adjusted for your eyesight. The scribed markings on the focus screen should be sharp when the diopter is properly adjusted.
  • Manual focus with the stock focus screen may lack adequate precision when used with faster lenses. I found it very difficult to nail focus with my Jupiter-9 85/2 until I switched to the aftermarket KatzEye screen. Other users on this site report good results with the S-type (precision matte) screen from focusingscreen.com which is tuned for use with lenses faster than f/2.8.
In regards to the second point:
  • There are limits to the in-camera SR feature
  • Tripods are our friend, though it is important to turn off SR when shooting on tripod. The 2s time delay feature is the easiest way to accomplish this.
If you want to continue testing your lens, I would suggest a simple, non-moving subject with high contrast and fine detail in good indirect light. Have the camera on a tripod. I have used my daughter's china doll, a watch face, and a pewter box in the past. (Look HERE for examples.)

Steve