Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

The Thorium glass Q from way back

I have a chance to buy one of these pretty cheap and it has had the UV treatment to get
rid of the yellowing.

It is f1.2 50mm.

Now I have a f1.2 50 mm auto focus.

My question is are the thorium lenses so spectacular as to make a **real** difference in your
shots as compared to the low bid (it was the one on clearance from amazon, the low bid one)
modern lens?

Or is it more of a novelty item?

I would be using this lens (manual focus) to take portrait stye pics of my daughter.
Inside and outside. When I say portrait style what I mean by that is not chasing the action shot,
but I don't mean like sitting in a studio.

Will I see a difference is what I am asking.

I have a K200.

And over time I will upgrade in the Pentax line but not soon.

Thanks!

04-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a little confused. As far as I know there is no f/1.2 auto focus lens for Pentax so not sure what you currently have.
Also the thorium lenses were Takumar not k-mount as far as I know and there is no f/1.2 Takumar.
And the modern lens is f/1.8 so again not sure what you mean.

More info please?
04-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you get a 1:2 lens? Post some pictures of your lens. The K200D is still a pretty capable camera.

Regards,
04-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, 1:2 means f2.0.
Watch out because some used item stores don't differentiate between : and , and . but there is a crucial difference! Check the aperture ring's values.

04-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK. I do get confused with the numbers. Wait.
OK I'm back.
Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras

That is what I have now. It seems pretty good for a low bid plastic thing.

The proposed is an Asahi Super-Takimar f1:1.4/50 as read from the front of the lens.

Sorry about the confusion.

I meant to explain better that I know this is manual focus. A bit of a problem when I was first starting out but after
shooting 1000 pics a week, different lenses and different modes, I think it is possible with the manual under certain
conditions.

I will buy a M42 to K mount adapter as well off ebay. My research already says I need to permanently mount it
to the lens otherwise you end up messing up the threads.
04-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote

I will buy a M42 to K mount adapter as well off ebay. My research already says I need to permanently mount it
to the lens otherwise you end up messing up the threads.
I never messed up my threads. When I screw in the lens, or any machine threaded screw or bolt, i turn it counter clockwise until i hear a click then I screw it in clockwise. This lines you up to screw in, any screw, perfectly. The generic adapters are pretty cheap though. If you remove the pin, you can leave the adapter on the lens and make it, esentially, a k-mount lens.
04-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter

First your research is wrong you do not need to permanently mount the adapter.

Second there is no significant difference in image quality and you give up auto focus with the Takumar.

Don't get me wrong the Takumars are great, I have many but if you already have the da 50mm the only reason to add the f/1.4 is narrow depth of focus. And if you are using it to shoot active children I would take the auto focus.
04-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Why do you need that Takumar?
Its probably easier to get a Pentax M 50mm f1.4 (manual, K-mount, no adapter needed, might cost less than that Takumar+adapter) or Pentax A 50mm f1.4 (K-mount, no adapter needed, manual focus, but you can adjust aperture on the camera and it allows Av and P mode) or even Pentax F 50mm f1.4 (K-mount, no adapter, fully automatic, has AF, but the AF might be a little loud). You can also buy a brand new Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 with full automation
All of these lenses, including the Takumar 50mm f1.4, are optically very similar to your DA 50mm f1.8. But they allow slightly brighter aperture of 1.4 instead of 1.8, and they have an aperture ring (which might be useful if you are doing macro work with bellows or tubes). And they have older versions of lens coatings, which are probably not as effective as the modern ones.

Unless you are a collector, I don't see why you need that Takumar when you already have a Pentax DA 50mm f1.8. If you want a 50mm lens with different optical characteristics (but same Field of view), you have to get one with a different optical design.

On the other hand, Takumar lenses are fun. Buying an adapter also opens a lot of options for other older lenses. Just don't expect that Takumar to be much different from your DA 50mm

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-21-2014 at 11:33 AM.
04-21-2014, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
All of these lenses, including the Takumar 50mm f1.4, are optically very similar to your DA 50mm f1.8. But they allow slightly brighter aperture of 1.4 instead of 1.8. And they have older versions of lens coatings, which are probably not as effective as the modern ones.
Generally - GENERALLY - people here who use Takumar (M42 manual focus) lenses use them because they truly enjoy using 50 year old lenses that are made of metal and glass. Those users understand and accept the compromises inherent in metering on digital cameras, older-style coatings, using an adapter, manual focus in comparatively small and dim dSLR viewfinders, (in some cases) stop-down metering only, sometimes yellowed elements, etc. Despite these drawbacks we shoot Takumars for the tactile pleasure and the specific redering they offer.

If these benefits are not you goal consider a more modern lens (at least a K-mount as suggested above - often at a lower price) such as an A, F, FA or DA 50.
04-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I wrote that before I read the excellent replies.

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 02:49 PM ----------

So for my Christmas shots and other things I do (what I call the sleep shots) it will be great?

I actually have not been using the fixed lens for story telling. I went back to the kit lens or this
telephoto one (not sure if qualifies as telephoto but it is stronger than the kit lens) for story telling.
The fixed lens was putting me way too close into the action.
(speaking in general I still use it A LOT, just not the main story telling lens)

I should not say Christmas shots either....More like my calendar/year summary book shots.
I put a lot of effort into telling the year story, every year.

---------- Post added 04-21-14 at 02:54 PM ----------

There are times though when you must use the manual focus with these cameras. (I mean switching it to manual)
These things have a delay, it is random, in the focusing in certain low light conditions. I read about it, and have experienced it.
It always comes at the worst possible time as well. So sometimes I already use the manual focus when I have an important shot
and I'm figuring it is about 50 percent chance of this non focus lockup happening.
04-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Unless you are a collector, I don't see why you need that Takumar when you already have a Pentax DA 50mm f1.8. If you want a 50mm lens with different optical characteristics (but same Field of view), you have to get one with a different optical design.
The Pentax fifties have various subtly different optical designs
(even disregarding the evolution of the coatings).
The K50/1.4, M50/1.4, and A50/1.4 differ
in the curvature of the cemented join, for example,
so the M50/1.4 seems to do better towards infinity.

Anyway, you can never have too many fifties!