Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some praise for the limiteds.

I just got my first 2 limiteds in the mail today. A 70 and 40, both smc.

I've always been pleased with the output from my k-30, but something just felt off. I never seemed to be able to capture the level of detail that I wanted. I put the lens's on the camera today when I got home, and took a couple pictures. Just dumb stuff on the back porch.

All I can saw is WOW. the level of detail out of these is incredible. I am totally blown away. 15 and 21 here I come.

04-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slippery, slippery slope you're on there... be careful, and enjoy!
04-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Fun to shoot, lightweight, professional quality, yes lots off reasons to like these little gems.
04-21-2014, 04:04 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Slippery, slippery slope you're on there... be careful, and enjoy!
Yeah, I think I already fell off..... That didn't take long.

04-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I swear by the 21mm. At f/4 it is as sharp and contrasty as any lens I have ever owned. It is a pancake and so compact on my K-x, while focusing really fast.

No lens has taken me more by surprise than this one.
04-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
I just got my first 2 limiteds in the mail today. A 70 and 40, both smc.

I've always been pleased with the output from my k-30, but something just felt off. I never seemed to be able to capture the level of detail that I wanted. I put the lens's on the camera today when I got home, and took a couple pictures. Just dumb stuff on the back porch.

All I can saw is WOW. the level of detail out of these is incredible. I am totally blown away. 15 and 21 here I come.
Great lenses extend the life expectancy of any camera and can make even an obsolete camera sing.
One of the reasons many "jump ships" or aimlessly search for a new system, is because they think "oh, it's a camera" in their head, not lenses, and judge a system on the basis how a camera performs using default settings with most boring kit zooms. Yuck!

They never understand that it is the great lens that enables great image first, and foremost. I'm glad you took the other road.
04-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I swear by the 21mm. At f/4 it is as sharp and contrasty as any lens I have ever owned. It is a pancake and so compact on my K-x, while focusing really fast.

No lens has taken me more by surprise than this one.
21 over the 15 for me any day....
04-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
They never understand that it is the great lens that enables great image first, and foremost. I'm glad you took the other road.
I was never "unhappy" with the camera, there just always felt like something was missing, or off. It was like in physics class, when you have no idea what you're studying, then one day, your eyes open real wide, and it's like the clouds clear, and all of a sudden you "get it" It's a real eye opening experience.

04-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I felt the same way till I got the FA Limiteds...

I do like my 21 and 15 though.
04-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
One of the reasons many "jump ships" or aimlessly search for a new system, is because they think "oh, it's a camera" in their head, not lenses, and judge a system on the basis how a camera performs using default settings with most boring kit zooms. Yuck!

They never understand that it is the great lens that enables great image first, and foremost.
The importance of the lens cannot be over-emphasised, and in my experience the Pentax DA & FA Limiteds are one-of-a-kind for the way they render colour, detail, microcontrast and "3D-ness". In a word - magnificent.

---------- Post added 04-23-14 at 03:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
The importance of the lens cannot be over-emphasised, and in my experience the Pentax DA & FA Limiteds are one-of-a-kind for the way they render colour, detail, microcontrast and "3D-ness". In a word - magnificent.
Some get concerned when they read reviews reporting apparently less-than-perfect test measurements for the Limiteds. But that would be missing the point! When one actually SEES the astonishingly beautiful images the Limiteds can create, suddenly the lab measurements just don't seem important anymore...

Last edited by KDAFA; 04-22-2014 at 11:32 AM.
04-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote

I have owned the DA 15, 21, 35 macro and 70 limiteds. To be honest with you, none of them gave me that feeling, except the 15mm. They were ok, nice and sharp, but, eh.

Then I got a FA 43mm LTD and my eyes were definitely opened!

I think the FA limiteds are in a class of their own.
04-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I have owned the DA 15, 21, 35 macro and 70 limiteds. To be honest with you, none of them gave me that feeling, except the 15mm. They were ok, nice and sharp, but, eh.

I have the (SMC) 15, 21, and 70. All tiny jewels IMO.

But I, too, got the FA 43 not too long ago, and it really is different. It does make me think of exchanging the 70 for a 77... But the 15 and 21 are safe, even if a 31 should one day, somehow, happen to join my arsenal
04-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote

My post gave an overall summary. To go into a bit more detail, what I've found is that the DA Ltds and FA Ltds definitely have their own different "look" to the images they create. They render differently enough; and yet they have common traits.

I find the DA's will give a more pleasing result with certain types of scenes/subjects, and the FA's with others. Through familiarity, I usually know which to choose for a given situation - they've got different strengths and complement each other very well indeed.

To illustrate, I find myself quite unable to pick only ONE lens between the DA35 and FA43. I rely on both for certain things each does supremely well.

Besides these two I have the 15 wideangle and 77 tele.

If I'm doing a wideangle shot and find in that instance that I don't want the DA Ltd "look", I'll try to switch to the FA*24, whose rendering has some similarity to the FA Ltd family look.

Likewise if I'm doing telephoto work and find I don't want the FA 77 Ltd look, I'll switch to the DA*50-135 or DA*200, both of which render somewhat like the DA70 Ltd's look. (Ideally, I should switch to the DA70, but I can't afford to have both the 70 & 77).

So for me, different work for the DA/FA Ltds. Together they make a fantastic team.