Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Hold it: perhaps I'm up too late, but AF adjustment is intended for AF lenses because these are controllable by the camera's software (or firmware, whatever). Older manual focus lenses are not adjustable except for the diopter. So, what are you adjusting here?

M
Yes, there is... if you mount the manual focus lens on the camera, you can go to customs C.26, turn the feature ON, and then adjust accordingly. Since this adjustment applies to 'all' lenses mounted on the camera, it is better to save this setting in a USER mode (for example, I have one user-mode for m42 lens and another user-mode for K-mount MF lens - they are different because you can use Av mode for m42 lens but only M mode for K-mount MF lens).

With my regular FA, DA and DA* lenses, I use 'plain' Av mode with auto-ISO almost all the time. By the way, there is also a 'per-lens' AF adjustment under C.26 as well if needed.

Hope you did not write off any of manual focus lenses yet....

---------- Post added 04-22-2014 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
+1, you said it.There is no AF with manual lenses.
There is... see my response to Miguel... happy shooting..

---------- Post added 04-22-2014 at 12:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It depends. If you are using the green hexagon as the focus indicator, making an adjustment can help, because you are using theAF system to make the decision of in focus.

I use a split image focusing screen myself
Lowell, you are correct if you use the split image focussing screen like Katz-eye; probably more straight forward and accurate if you have good eyes. In that case, how would you set your AF.S setting, release priority?

04-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Yes, there is... if you mount the manual focus lens on the camera, you can go to customs C.26, turn the feature ON, and then adjust accordingly. Since this adjustment applies to 'all' lenses mounted on the camera, it is better to save this setting in a USER mode (for example, I have one user-mode for m42 lens and another user-mode for K-mount MF lens - they are different because you can use Av mode for m42 lens but only M mode for K-mount MF lens).

With my regular FA, DA and DA* lenses, I use 'plain' Av mode with auto-ISO almost all the time. By the way, there is also a 'per-lens' AF adjustment under C.26 as well if needed.

Lowell, you are correct if you use the split image focussing screen like Katz-eye; probably more straight forward and accurate if you have good eyes. In that case, how would you set your AF.S setting, release priority?
Yes. You want the shot when you press the button, you care what your eyes think, not the camera
04-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote

Well thanks, I never thought to set that up during the many years I owned Pentax DSLRs.
When I owned a K-3, I found focus peaking on LiveView to be rather remarkable with closeups manually focused.

M
04-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Well thanks, I never thought to set that up during the many years I owned Pentax DSLRs.
When I owned a K-3, I found focus peaking on LiveView to be rather remarkable with closeups manually focused.

M
If you set the AF.S setting with focus priority and relying on the camera's AF system to focus, then you cannot trip the shutter unless the green hexagon lights up in the viewfinder. That is why focus accuracy is very important.

04-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Excuse me... BIF-ing with a 200? I'd like to order what you are eating! The image is absolutely wonderful...

How many keepers did you expect to get?

I've been into photography since I was 10 and I'm 72, now. Today when I go out, I'm armed to the teeth (K3+DA*300+HD 1.4TC, High Performance SD Card, fully charged battery, etc) and my expectations are always zero. I figure every shot is an experiment, so I go out every day and shoot a lot... it's a numbers game.

Anyway, I'd almost kill to get an image like the one you posted.... Many times I return with nothing. If I can make 1 out of 100 work, I'm pleased.

There's no reason for you to be modest.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers... M
Thanks for your kind words Michaelina. Yes the Da*200 is not a birding lens. How many keepers? That image is just about it and there is a lot of pp in that image. Most of the others I either missed focus or they are too small and dark.

These birds hover quite low and are as numerous as seagulls at a beach in England so I am sure that with the right lens you would have few problems getting a number of keepers.

I said in my previous post I set my camera to 9 point well that should have been 11 point but have since read that 5 point autofocus and afc is a better setting.

Perhaps with manual lenses catch in focus would be a good setting to try.